The Development of an eBook for Teaching and Learning Mathematics
Mobile devices, smartphones, phablets and tablets, are widely available. This is a generation of digital natives. We cannot ignore that they are no longer the same students for which the education system was designed traditionally. Studying math is many times a cumbersome task. But this can be changed if the teacher takes advantage of the technology that is currently available. We are working in the use of different tools to extend the classroom in a blended learning model. In this paper, it is presented the development of an eBook for teaching mathematics to secondary students. It is developed with the free and open standard EPUB 3 that is available for Android and iOS platforms. This specification supports video embedded in the eBook. In this paper it is shown how to take advantage of this feature, making videos available about lectures and problems resolutions, which is especially interesting for learning mathematics.
KeywordseBooks Mathematics m-learning EPUB
- 1.European Commission. The changing pedagogical landscape (2015). http://bookshop.europa.eu/en/the-changing-pedagogical-landscape-pbNC0415435/ (Retrieved)
- 2.European Commission. Report to the European Commission on New modes of learning and teaching in higher education (2014). http://ec.europa.eu/education/library/reports/modernisation_en.pdf (Retrieved)
- 3.Heide, A., Stilborne, L.: Guia do Professor para a Internet - Completo e fácil. Porto Alegre – Brasil, Artmed Editora (2000)Google Scholar
- 4.Weibel, R., Bleisch, S., Nebiker, S., Fisler, J., Grossmann, T., Niederhuber, M., Collet, C., Hurni, L.: Achieving more sustainable elearning programs for GIScience. Geomatica 63, 109–118 (2009)Google Scholar
- 5.Spilka, R., Manenova, M.: Screencasts as web-based learning method for math students on upper primary school. In: WSEAS Conference Proceedings, 4th European Conference of Computer Science, World Scientific and Engineering Academy and Society (WSEAS), pp. 246−250 (2013)Google Scholar