A Study on the Comparison and Inspiration for Operation Mode of the Maker Space Brand in China and America
Maker space could be simply understood as the place where the guests doing things together. This concept could be traced back to the source-“hacker space” in the European, now it developed into a new form of organization and service platform. It promoted knowledge sharing, cross-border cooperation, creative achievement and even product through providing open space physics and prototype processing equipment to makers and organizing relevant meetings and workshops. According to a maker space list in Wikipedia, it shown that currently there were 2001 invasive space totally in the global. Among them, 1225 maker spaces were recorded as creative space, 355 maker space were planed to be build. These maker spaces were different in styles: some maker spaces mainly were centralized of Geek for coding technology, music recording and technical design; some maker space mainly focused on art design and hand-made; some maker space covered two forms which could create hybrid. According to the service object and function of maker space, it could be divided into the following four types: FabLabs, Hackerspaces, TechShops, Makerspaces operation mode, and it shown the characteristics of specialization, commercialization, etc. According to the difference among operation mode of maker space, investment and business service system etc., the following several modes of maker space existed currently in China: training investment, aggregate type and new type of real estate, the media driven, financing service, industry chain service and integrated business ecological system type.
This paper used the research and comparative analysis method, it made a comparison for brand operation mode of maker space in China and America, compared and analyzed development goals, talent team construction and organization operation mechanism of maker space between China and America. It focused on understanding the latest developments and implementation strategy of innovative talents training and maker space in the United States, put forward development strategy of maker space in China with American maker space brand operation and management experience, and provided reference for Chinese new geek culture mode.
KeywordsMaker space Brand Operation mode Comparative study
- 1.Anderson, C.: Makers: The New Industrial Revolution. Random House Business Books, London (2012)Google Scholar
- 2.Deyu, W., Jianxin, Y., Shuangshou, L.: Analysis for the operation mode of the domestic maker space. Mod. Educ. Technol. 25(5), 33–39 (2015)Google Scholar
- 3.Lina, W., Junmin, F., Qianfei, T., et al.: Study on the maker operation mode in the United States. Sci. Technol. 183(5), 7–9 (2015)Google Scholar
- 4.NoiseBridge. https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Noisebridge
- 5.TechShop. http://www.techshop.ws/index.html
- 6.Garage Cafe. http://www.chekucafe.com/aboutUs
- 7.ChaiHuo Makerspace. http://www.chaihuo.org/
- 8.Shuangshou, L., Jianxin, Y., Deyu, W., et al.: The practice of maker space construction in Colleges and universities. Mod. Educ. Technol. 25(7), 5–11 (2015)Google Scholar
- 9.Guidance formulated by the general office of the State Council on the development of maker space and promotion of public innovation and entrepreneurship. http://www.gov.cn/zhengce/content/2015-03/11/content_9519.htm
- 10.Jianxin, Y., Hongbin, S., Shuangshou, L.: Innovative education laboratory of American colleges and the social maker space investigation. Mod. Educ. Technol. (2015) Google Scholar
- 11.TsinghuaUniversity. http://www.icenter.tsinghua.edu.cn/publish/gyxl/1061/index.html
- 12.TechShop and Fujitsu Partner to Empower Maker Movement. http://www.fujitsu.com/global/about/resources/news/press-releases/2014/1208-01.html