New Emergency Medicine Paradigm via Augmented Telemedicine
In many emergency scenarios, medical care is initially provided by first responders in the field and later by physicians at designated centers. In the setting of traumatic injury, the so-called “golden hour,” the efficiency of patient triage and medical transport may greatly affect the outcomes of emergency treatment. In current practice, the initial communication and interaction between physician and first responders is limited to voice or, in rare instances, video conferencing, while the attending physicians cannot receive other more comprehensive, critical patient information. This paper proposes to address these fundamental technology gaps and information bottlenecks by leveraging the state-of-the-art 3D teleimmersion and augmented reality (AR) technologies.
KeywordsTelemedicine Virtual reality Augmented reality Collaboration Remote interaction Emergency medicine
This research was partially supported by Office of Naval Research (ONR) grant #N00014-09-1-0230.
- 3.Simpson, A.T.: A brief history of NASA’s contributions to telemedicine. http://www.nasa.gov/content/a-brief-history-of-nasa-s-contributions-to-telemedicine. Accessed 10 Feb 2016
- 9.Telehealth Resource Center. http://www.telehealthresourcecenter.org. Accessed 10 Feb 2016
- 11.Mandellos, G.J., Lymperopoulos, D.K., Koukias, M.N., Tzes, A., Lazarou, N., Vagianos, C.: A novel mobile telemedicine system for ambulance transport. Design and evaluation. In: Proceedings of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society (IEMBS), San Francisco, CA (2004)Google Scholar
- 15.DeFanti, T., Sandin, D., Brown, M., Pape, D., Anstey, J., Bogucki, M., Dawe, G., Johnson, A., Huang, T.S.: Technologies for virtual reality/tele-immersion applications: issues of research in image display and global networking. In: Earnshaw, R.A., Guedj, R.A., van Dam, A., Vince, J.A. (eds.) Frontiers of Human-Centered Computing, Online Communities and Virtual Environments, pp. 137–159. Springer, London (1999)Google Scholar
- 19.Anton-Saez, D., Kurillo, G., Goñi, A., Illarramendi, A., Bajcsy, R.: Real-time communication for Kinect-based tele-rehabilitation. Technical report (2014)Google Scholar