Conclusion: Christakis at Thermopylae
I return to the furor over Halloween, which generated a heated clash between students at Yale University and Nicholas Christakis, master of a residential college, over whether he should provide a home for the students, keeping them safe from ideas that made them feel threatened, or an intellectual community. The exchange brings forward a number of themes explored in the book.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Christakis, Erika. 2015. Email from Erika Christakis: “Dressing Yourselves,” Email to Silliman College (Yale) Students on Halloween Costumes. https://www.thefire.org/email-from-erika-christakis-dressing-yourselves-email-to-silliman-college-yale-students-on-halloween-costumes/.
- Concerned Yale Students, Alumni, Family, Faculty, and Staff. 2015. Open Letter to Associate Master Christakis. http://downatyale.com/post.php?id=430.
- Foundation for Individual Rights in Education. 2015. https://www.thefire.org/cases/protesters-at-yale-threaten-free-speech-demand-apologies-and-resignations-from-faculty-members-over-halloween-email/.
- Friedersdorf, Conor. 2015. The New Intolerance of Student Activism. The Atlantic, November 9.Google Scholar
- Intercultural Affairs Committee. 2015. Email from the Intercultural Affairs Committee. October 27. https://www.thefire.org/email-from-intercultural-affairs/.
- ———. 2016. Mission Statement. http://yalecollege.yale.edu/intercultural-affairs-council-iac#mission. Accessed 15 Jan 2016.
- Jackson, Abby. 2015. Yale Lecturer Whose Email Ignited a Debate About Racism Has Decided Not to Teach There in the Future. Business Insider, December 3. http://www.businessinsider.com/yale-professor-erika-christakis-will-not-teach-next-year-due-to-racial-controversy-2015-12 Google Scholar
- Stanley-Becker, Isaac. 2015a. Yale’s President Tells Minority Students: ‘We failed you’. Washington Post, November 5.Google Scholar
- ———. 2015b. Hundreds March at Yale in Solidarity with Minority Students. Washington Post, November 9. http://www.businessinsider.com/yale-professor-erika-christakis-will-not-teach-next-year-due-to-racial-controversy-2015-12
Open Access This chapter is distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial License, which permits any noncommercial use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original author(s) and source are credited.