Night Time and Low Visibility Driving Assistance Based on the Application of Colour and Geometrical Features Extraction
- 2.2k Downloads
The present work shows an application to detect cars in night environments as a means to assist the car driving through HSV (Hue, Saturation, Value) colour extraction and geometric modelling. The developed algorithm has been implemented in smart devices through the platform Android. The detection and tracking of vehicles are implemented in low visibility environments such as night time, raining or snowing conditions; the different tests carried out confirm high performance rates of detection (p = 95.2 %). The information provided by the different sensors of the smart devices have been used to generate virtual information in a real driving environment (Augmented Reality) in order to complement the functionalities of the purposed solution. This information consists of visual, vibratory and auditory warnings that detect possible collisions and dangerous driving situations.
KeywordsColor extraction Geometrical features Smart devices Augmented reality Assisted driving
This work was supported by Spanish National Plan for Scientific Technical Research and Innovation, project number TEC2013-48453-C2-2-R.
- 1.World Helath Organization (WHO). http://www.who.int/violence_injury_prevention/road_safety_status/2015/en/
- 7.Gritsch, G., Donath, N., Kohn, B., Litzenberger, M.: Night-time vehicle classification with an embedded, vision system. In: Proceedings of the 12th International IEEE Conference on Intelligent Transportation Systems, pp. 1–6 (2009)Google Scholar
- 8.Chen, Y.L., Chen, Y.H., Chen, C.J., Wu, B.F.: Nighttime vehicle detection for driver assistance and autonomous vehicles. In: Proceedings of 18th International Conference on Pattern Recognition, vol. 1, pp. 687–690 (2006)Google Scholar
- 10.Cabani, I., Toulminet, G., Bensrhair, A.: Color-based detection of vehicle lights. In: Proceedings of IEEE Intelligent Vehicles Symposium, pp. 278–283. IEEE, June 2005Google Scholar
- 11.Chan, Y.M., Huang, S.S., Fu, L.C., Hsiao, P.Y.: Vehicle detection under various lighting conditions by incorporating particle filter. In: IEEE Intelligent Transportation Systems Conference ITSC 2007, pp. 534–539. IEEE, September 2007Google Scholar
- 12.Chen, Y.L., Wu, B.F., Lin, C.T., Fan, C.J., Hsieh, C.M.: Real-time vision-based vehicle detection and tracking on a moving vehicle for nighttime driver assistance. Int. J. Robot. Autom. 24(2), 89–102 (2009)Google Scholar
- 13.Chen, Y.L., Chiang, H.H., Chiang, C.Y., Liu, C.M., Yuan, S.M., Wang, J.H.: A vision-based driver nighttime assistance and surveillance system based on intelligent image sensing techniques and a heterogamous dual-core embedded system architecture. Sensors 12(3), 2373–2399 (2012)CrossRefGoogle Scholar