ELES: Combining Entity Linking and Entity Summarization
- 1.9k Downloads
The automatic annotation of textual content with entities from a knowledge base is a well established field. Applications, such as DBpedia Spotlight and GATE enable to identify and disambiguate entities of text at high levels of accuracy. The output of such systems can be used in many different ways. One way is to show knowledge panels which provide a fact-based summary of an entity and provides further information as well as browsing options. Such fact-based summaries are produced by entity summarization systems.
This paper presents ELES, a lightweight combination of DBpedia Spotlight and the SUMMA entity summarization interface. DBpedia Spotlight analyzes text and links fragments to entities of the DBpedia knowledge base. The LinkSUM summarizer (interfaced via the SUMMA API definition) produces fact-based summaries of DBpedia entities. The two applications are combined on the client side through the “Internationalization Tag Set 2.0” W3C recommendation and lightweight jQuery-based interfaces.
KeywordsEntity Summarization Entity Linking Knowledge Panel DBpedia Spotlight Automatic Annotation
The research leading to these results has received funding from the European Union Seventh Framework Programme (FP7/2007–2013) under grant agreement no. 611346 and by the German Federal Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF) within the Software Campus project “SumOn” (grant no. 01IS12051).
- 1.Daiber, J., Jakob, M., Hokamp, C., Mendes, P.N.: Improving efficiency and accuracy in multilingual entity extraction. In: Proceedings of the 9th International Conference on Semantic Systems (I-Semantics) (2013)Google Scholar
- 2.Damljanovic, D., Bontcheva, K.: Named entity disambiguation using linked data. In: Proceedings of the 9th Extended Semantic Web Conference (2012)Google Scholar
- 3.Filip, D., McCance, S., Lewis, D., Lieske, C., Lommel, A., Kosek, J., Sasaki, F., Savourel, Y.: Internationalization Tag Set (ITS) Version 2.0. W3C recommendation. W3C, October 2013. http://www.w3.org/TR/2013/REC-its20-20131029/
- 4.Thalhammer, A., Lasierra, N., Rettinger, A.: LinkSUM: using link analysis to summarize entity data. In: Proceedings of the 16th International Conference on Web Engineering (ICWE 2016) (2016, to appear)Google Scholar
- 6.Tietz, T., Waitelonis, J., Jäger, J., Sack, H., Navigator, S.M.: Visualizing recommendations based on linked data. In: Industry Track at the International Semantic Web Conference (ISWC 2014), vol. 1383. CEUR-WS (2015)Google Scholar
- 7.Vrandečić, D., Krötzsch, M.: Wikidata: a free collaborative knowledgebase. Commun. ACM 57, 78–85 (2014)Google Scholar
- 8.Zhang, L., Rettinger, A.: X-LiSA: cross-lingual semantic annotation. In: Proceedings of the VLDB Endowment (PVLDB), the 40th International Conference on Very Large Data Bases (VLDB), vol. 7, no. 13, pp. 1693–1696, September 2014Google Scholar