On Approximating (Connected) 2-Edge Dominating Set by a Tree
The edge dominating set problem (EDS) is to compute a minimum edge set such that every edge is dominated by some edge in it. This paper considers a variant of EDS with extensions of multiple and connected dominations combined. In the b-EDS problem, each edge needs to be dominated b times. Connected EDS requires an edge dominating set to be connected while it has to form a tree in Tree Cover. Although each of EDS, b-EDS, and Connected EDS (or Tree Cover) has been well studied, each known to be approximable within 2 (or 8/3 for b-EDS in general), nothing is known when these extensions are imposed simultaneously on EDS unlike in the case of the (vertex) dominating set problem.
We consider Connected 2-EDS and 2-Tree Cover (i.e., a combination of 2-EDS and Tree Cover), and present a polynomial algorithm approximating each within 2. Moreover, it will be shown that the single tree computed is no larger than twice the optimum for (not necessarily connected) 2-EDS, thus also approximating 2-EDS equally well. It also implies that 2-EDS with clustering properties can be approximated within 2 as well.
- 18.Fink, J.F., Jacobson, M.S.: \(n\)-domination in graphs. In: Graph Theory with Applications to Algorithms and Computer Science, pp. 283–300. Wiley (1985)Google Scholar
- 19.Fink, J.F., Jacobson, M.S.: On \(n\)-domination, \(n\)-dependence and forbidden subgraphs. In: Graph Theory with Applications to Algorithms and Computer Science, pp. 301–311. Wiley (1985)Google Scholar
- 22.Gao, X., Zou, F., Kim, D., Du, D.-Z.: The latest researches on dominating problems in wireless sensor network. In: Handbook on Sensor Networks, pp. 197–226. World Scientific (2010)Google Scholar
- 26.Hunt III., H., Marathe, M., Radhakrishnan, V., Ravi, S., Rosenkrantz, D., Stearns, R.: A unified approach to approximation schemes for NP- and PSPACE-hard problems for geometric graphs. In: Proceedings of the Second Annual European Symposium on Algorithms, pp. 424–435 (1994)Google Scholar
- 27.Kim, D., Gao, X., Zou, F., Du, D.-Z.: Construction of fault-tolerant virtual backbones in wireless networks. In: Handbook on Security and Networks, pp. 488–509. World Scientific (2011)Google Scholar
- 33.Shi, Y., Zhang, Y., Zhang, Z., Wu, W.: A greedy algorithm for the minimum \(2\)-connected \(m\)-fold dominating set problem. J. Comb. Optim., 1–16 (2014)Google Scholar
- 35.Wu, Y., Li, Y.: Construction algorithms for \(k\)-connected \(m\)-dominating sets in wireless sensor networks. In: Proceedings of the 9th ACM International Symposium on Mobile Ad Hoc Networking and Computing, MobiHoc 2008, pp. 83–90 (2008)Google Scholar