Learning to Classify Spatiotextual Entities in Maps
In this paper, we present an approach for automatically recommending categories for spatiotextual entities, based on already existing annotated entities. Our goal is to facilitate the annotation process in crowdsourcing map initiatives such as OpenStreetMap, so that more accurate annotations are produced for the newly created spatial entities, while at the same time increasing the reuse of already existing tags. We define and construct a set of training features to represent the attributes of the spatiotextual entities and to capture their relation with the categories they are annotated with. These features include spatial, textual and semantic properties of the entities. We evaluate four different approaches, namely SVM, kNN, clustering+SVM and clustering+kNN, on several combinations of the defined training features and we examine which configurations of the algorithms achieve the best results. The presented work is deployed in OSMRec, a plugin for the JOSM tool that is commonly used for editing content in OpenStreetMap.
KeywordsSupport Vector Machine Support Vector Machine Model Cosine Similarity Training Feature Volunteer Geographic Information
This work was partially supported by EU projects GeoKnow (GA no. 318159) and City.Risks (H2020-FCT-2014-653747).
- 1.Arnaud, V., Rodolphe, D.: Improving volunteered geographic information quality using a tag recommender system: the case of OpenStreetMap. In: Arsanjani, J., Zipf, A., Mooney, P., Helbich, M. (eds.) OpenStreetMap in GIScience, pp. 59–80. Springer, Cham (2015)Google Scholar
- 2.Jilani, M., Corcoran, P., Bertolotto, M.: Automated highway tag assessment of OpenStreetMap road networks. In: Proceedings of the SIGSPATIAL 2014 (2014)Google Scholar
- 4.Silva, A., Martins, B.: Tag recommendation for georeferenced photos. In: LBSN (2011)Google Scholar
- 5.Schedl, M., Vall, A., Farrahi, K.: User geospatial context for music recommendation in microblogs. In: SIGIR (2014)Google Scholar
- 6.Mooney, P., Corcoran, P.: Annotating spatial features in OpenStreetMap. In: GISRUK (2011)Google Scholar
- 7.Mülligann, C., Janowicz, K., Ye, M., Lee, W.-C.: Analyzing the spatial-semantic interaction of points of interest in volunteered geographic information. In: Egenhofer, M., Giudice, N., Moratz, R., Worboys, M. (eds.) COSIT 2011. LNCS, vol. 6899, pp. 350–370. Springer, Heidelberg (2011)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 9.Karagiannakis, N., Giannopoulos, G., Skoutas, D., Athanasiou, S.: OSMRec tool for automatic recommendation of categories on spatial entities in OpenStreetMap. In: RecSys (2015)Google Scholar