Examples of Sediment Waves in and Around Submarine Canyons of the North Alboran Sea
Swath bathymetry in the north Alboran Sea shows different types of sediment waves associated with submarine canyons. Bedforms are located in the channel axis, on the levee backslopes of a meander and on the fan lobe developed at the mouth of the canyons. They probably represent different responses to turbidity current flows and suggest active sediment dynamics (at present and/or in the past) in this area.
KeywordsContinental slope Bedforms Sediment waves Cyclic steps Fan lobe
The data were obtained in the framework of the Fisheries Mapping Programme of the Mediterranean, funded by the Secretaría General de Pesca (MAGRAMA). We also wish to thank the SGP-TRAGSA Cartography Group, who participated in the cruises.
- Alonso, B. and Ercilla, G. (2003). Small turbidite systems in a complex tectonic setting (SW Mediterranean Sea): morphology and growth patterns. Marine and Petroleum Geology, 19, 1225–1240.Google Scholar
- Cartigny, M.J.B., Postma, G., van den Berg, J. H., Mastbergen, D.R. (2011). A comparative study of sediment waves and cyclic steps based on geometries, internal structures and numerical modeling. Marine Geology, 280: 40–56.Google Scholar
- Cartigny, M.J.B., Postma, G. (2016). Turbidity current bedforms (this issue).Google Scholar
- Fildani, A., Normark, W.R., Kostic, S., Parker, G. (2006). Channel formation by flow stripping: large scale scour features along the Monterey East Channel and the relation to sediment waves. Sedimentology, 53: 1–23.Google Scholar
- Muñoz, A., Ballesteros, M., Montoya, I., Rivera, J., Acosta, J., Uchupi, E. (2008). Alborán Basin, southern Spain—Part I: Geomorphology. Marine and Petroleum Geology, 25 (1): 59–73.Google Scholar
- Ortega-Sánchez, M., Lobo, F.J., López-Ruiz, A., Losada, M.A., Fernández-Salas, L.M. (2014). The influence of shelf-indenting canyons and infralittoral prograding wedges on coastal morphology: The Carchuna system in Southern Spain. Marine Geology, 347: 107–122.Google Scholar
- Smith, D.P., Ruiz, G., Kvitek, R., Iampietro, P.J. (2005). Semiannual patterns of erosion and deposition in upper Monterey Canyon from serial multibeam bathymetry. Geological Society of America Bulletin 117 (9–10), 1123–1133.Google Scholar
- Wynn, R.B., Kenyon, N.H., Masson, D.G., Stow, D.A.V., Weaver, P.P.E. (2002). Characterization and recognition of deep-water-channel-lobe transition zones. American Association of Petroleum Geologists Bulletin, 86:1441–1462.Google Scholar