Sedimentary Bedforms in the Menorca Channel Region, Balearic Islands (Western Mediterranean)
A variety of sedimentary bedforms have been identified on the continental shelf between Mallorca and Menorca (Menorca Channel). The bedforms consist of different grain sizes, ranging from very fine to coarse, predominantly bioclastic sands, and include rippled scour depressions in association with fine sand patches, sand waves, sand ridges, ribbons and furrows. The morphology and acoustic appearance of these bedforms are documented in a number of maps generated on the basis of detailed multibeam bathymetric datasets, side-scan sonar images and high-resolution reflection seismic profiles (TOPAS).
KeywordsMenorca channel Sand patches (rippled scour depressions) Sand waves Sand ridges Sand ribbons Furrows
We want to thank INDEMARES-CANAL DE MENORCA working group for their cooperation during the development of the project. Spanish Fishing General Secretary gave up CALMEN multibeam bathymetry datasets to the INDEMARES Project. We are thankful for the suggestions made by Dr. J. Guillén and Prof. Dr. B. W. Flemming, which improved the quality of the final manuscript.
- Acosta J, Canals M, López-Martínez J, Muñoz A, Herranz P, Urgeles R, Palomo C, Casamor JL (2002). The Balearic Promontory geomorphology (western Mediterranean): morphostructure and active processes. Geomorph 49:177–204.Google Scholar
- Alonso B, Guillén J, Canals M, Serra J, Acosta J, Herranz P, Sanz JL, Calafat A, Catafau E (1988). Los sedimentos de la plataforma continental balear. ActaGeolHisp 23:185–196.Google Scholar
- Barberá C, Moranta J, Ordines F, Ramón M, de Mesa A, Díaz-Valdés M, Grau AM, Massutí E (2012). Biodiversity and habitat mapping of Menorca Channel (western Mediterranean): implications for conservation. BiodivConserv 21:701–728.Google Scholar
- Cacchione, DA, Drake, DE, Grant, WD, Tate, GB (1984). Rippled scour depression on the inner continental shelf off central California. J Sediment Petrol 54 (4): 1280–1291.Google Scholar
- Canals M, Ballesteros E (1997). Production of carbonate particles by phytobenthic communities on the Mallorca-Menorca shelf, northwestern Mediterranean Sea. Deep-Sea Res II 44(3):611–629.Google Scholar
- Ordines F, Jordà G, Quetglas A, Flexas M, Moranta J, Massutí E (2011). Connections between hydrodynamics, benthic landscape and associated fauna in the Balearic Islands, western Mediterranean. Cont Shelf Res 31:1835–1844.Google Scholar
- Pinot JM, López-Jurado JL, Riera M (2002). The CANALES experiment (1996–1998). Interannual, seasonal, and mesoscale variability of the circulation in the Balearic Channels.ProgOceanogr 55:335–370.Google Scholar
- Vargas M, García MC, Moya F, Tel E, Parrilla G, Plaza F, Lavín A, García MJ (2010). Cambio climático en el Mediterráneo español. Temas de oceanografía 3, Instituto Español de Oceanografía. 176 pp.Google Scholar