An Efficient Geographical Addressing Scheme for the Internet
Geocast is a scheme which allows packets to be sent to a destination area instead of an address. This allows the addressing of any device in a specific region without further knowledge. In this paper we present an addressing mechanism that allows efficient referral to areas of arbitrary size. The binary representation of our addressing mechanism fits in an IPv6 address and can be used for route lookup with simple exclusive-or operations. We show that our addressing mechanism can be used to address areas accurately enough to be used as a mechanism to route packets close to their destination.
KeywordsGeocast Addressing IPv6
The authors would like to thank the financial support provided by the SALUS project, co-funded by the EU under the 7th Framework Programme for research (grant agreement no. 313296).
- 2.Fioreze, T., Heijenk, G.J.: Extending the domain name system (DNS) to provide geographical addressing towards vehicular ad-hoc networks (VANETs). In: Altintas, O., Chen, W., Heijenk, G.J. (eds.) VNC, pp. 70–77. IEEE (2011)Google Scholar
- 3.Imielinski, T., Goel, S.: DataSpace - querying and monitoring deeply networked collections in physical space. In: MobiDE, pp. 44–51. ACM (1999)Google Scholar
- 4.Karagiannis, G., Heijenk, G., Festag, A., Petrescu, A., Chaiken, A.: Internet-wide geo-networking problem statement (2013). https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-karagiannis-problem-statement-geonetworking-01
- 5.Karp, B., Kung, H.T.: GPSR: greedy perimeter stateless routing for wireless networks. In: Proceedings of the 6th Annual International Conference on Mobile Computing and Networking, pp. 243–254. ACM (2000)Google Scholar
- 6.Khaled, Y., Ben Jemaa, I., Tsukada, M., Ernst, T.: Application of ipv6 multicast to vanet. In: 9th International Conference on Intelligent Transport Systems Telecommunications (ITST 2009), pp. 198–202. IEEE (2009)Google Scholar
- 7.National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency: World Geodetic System (2015). https://www.nga.mil/ProductsServices/GeodesyandGeophysics/Pages/WorldGeodeticSystem.aspx. Accessed 14 January 2016
- 8.Navas, J.C., Imielinski, T.: GeoCast - geographic addressing and routing. In: Pap, L., Sohraby, K., Johnson, D.B., Rose, C. (eds.) MOBICOM, pp. 66–76. ACM (1997)Google Scholar
- 9.Navas, J.C., Imielinski, T.: On reducing the computational cost of Geographic Routing. Rutgers University, Department of Computer Science, Technical report DCS-TR-408 (2000)Google Scholar
- 10.Niemeyer, G.: Geohash (2008). http://geohash.org/