The Professional Figure of the Security Liaison Officer in the Council Directive 2008/114/EC
- 728 Downloads
The Council Directive 2008/114/EC represents a cornerstone for a common European strategy for the protection of Critical Infrastructures. Article 6 comma 2 of the Directive deals with the designation of a Security Liaison Officer for each European Critical Infrastructure. Although his designation is mandatorily stated by the Directive, his role and duties in the organization are not clearly defined. To overcome this lack of standardization across Europe, the present study aims to define and analyze the current scenario of Critical Infrastructure security, and gather opinions regarding the aspiring evolution of the regulatory framework, in order to create a “European vision” of the SLO in terms of background, competences and role.
KeywordsSecurity Liaison Officer Council Directive 2008/114/EC Critical Infrastructure Protection
This work was partially supported by the European Commission, Directorate-General Home Affairs within the Specific Programme on “Prevention, Preparedness and Consequence Management of Terrorism and other Security-related risks” under Grant HOME/2012/CIPS/AG/4000003747 “SLO – Security Liaison Officer”.
- 1.Communication from the Commission on a European Programme for Critical Infrastructure Protection (COM(2006) 786 final)Google Scholar
- 2.Commission Staff Working document on a new approach to the European Programme for Critical Infrastructure Protection Making European Critical Infrastructures more secure (SWD(2013) 318 final)Google Scholar
- 3.Council Directive 2008/114/EC of 8 December 2008 on the identification and designation of European critical infrastructures and the assessment of the need to improve their protectionGoogle Scholar
- 4.Critical Infrastructure Warning Information Network * European Parliament legislative resolution of 22 April 2009 on the proposal for a Council decision on a Critical Infrastructure Warning Information Network (CIWIN) (COM(2008)0676 – C6-0399/2008 – 2008/0200(CNS))Google Scholar
- 5.Romanian Prime Minister Resolution N. 166 of 19 March 2013Google Scholar
- 6.SLO project Final Report. (www.coseritylab.it/News/Voci/2014/6/25_SLO_Project_Final_Conference_files/SLO_FinalReport.pdf)
- 7.Study to support the preparation of the review of the council directive 2008/114/EC on the “identification and designation of European critical infrastructures (ECI) and the assessment of the need to improve their protection” contracting authority: European Commission; prepared by: Booz & Company GmbH - 05 March 2012Google Scholar