Modelling the Evolution of Computer Aided Design Models: Investigating the Potential for Supporting Engineering Project Management
The development of Computer Aided Design (CAD) models is a fundamental and distinct feature of Engineering Projects. CAD models can be considered to be the digital embodiment of the products’ design and are used to support a wide variety of tasks that span the embodiment, detail, manufacture and commissioning phases of a project. With this in mind, it is proposed that the monitoring and modelling of the edit trace behaviour of CAD files may provide additional understanding and evidence that supplements current approaches to monitor and manage engineering projects.
To explore this proposition, this paper presents results from an exploratory study that seeks to model the edit trace behaviour of CAD files based upon their meta-data attributes (for example, file size, date modified & date accessed). The edit trace behaviour has been mapped to a sigmoid function in order to be able to describe and potentially predict future behaviour. The potential impact of being able to provide this type of information to engineering project management is also discussed.
KeywordsComputer Aided Design Sigmoid Prediction Evolution Edit trace behaviour Engineering project management
The work reported in this paper has been undertaken as part of the Language of Collaborative Manufacturing Project at the University of Bath & University of Bristol, which has support from the Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC) (grant reference EP/K014196/1)
- 1.John Peddie Research, Jon Peddie Research releases the Worldwide CAD Market report (2012). http://jonpeddie.com/press-releases/details/worldwide-cad-market-report-2012/
- 2.Sutherland, I E.: Sketch pad a man-machine graphical communication system. In: Proceedings of the SHARE Design Automation Workshop, DAC 1964, pp. 6.329–6.346. ACM New York, NY, USA (1964). doi: 10.1145/800265.810742
- 3.Gopsill, J.A., McAlpine, H., Hicks, B.J.: Learning from the lifecycle: the capabilities and limitations of current product lifecycle practice and systems. In: International Conference on Engineering Design, ICED 2011 (2011)Google Scholar
- 5.Argyres, N.S.: The impact of information technology on coordination: evidence from the b-2 stealth bomber. Organ. Sci. 10(2), 162–180 (1999). doi: 10.1287/orsc.10.2.162. http://orgsci.journal.informs.org/content/10/2/162.abstract CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 6.Briggs, D.: Establish digital product development (DPD) Low End Viewer (LEV) and archival standard for 787 project. Collaboration & Interoperability Congress (CIC) (2012)Google Scholar
- 7.Clarke, N.: Airbus Faces More Delays for A380 Jet (The New York Times). http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/04/business/worldbusiness/04airbus.html?_r=0. Accessed 4 October 2006
- 8.Shani, W.: Channel Tunnel hindsight. http://www.tunneltalk.com/Channel-Tunnel-Feb93-Hindsight-view.php. Acessed February 1993
- 10.Kedar, A.P., Lakhe, R.R., Deshpande, V.S., Washimkar, P.V., Wakhare, M.V.: A comparative review of tqm, tpm and related organisational performance improvement programs. In: First International Conference on Emerging Trends in Engineering and Technology, ICETET 2008, pp. 725–730, 16–18 July 2008 doi: 10.1109/ICETET.2008.133