Procedural Approach for 3D Modeling of City Buildings
Large-scale 3D city building models have been widely used in urban planning, intelligent transportation, military simulation and other fields. The traditional ways of modeling generally have common problems such as low efficiency, waste of manpower and time consumption. How to find a rapid approach to automatically complete large-scale 3D modeling is a very hot research topic. In this paper we propose a novel approach of procedural modeling of buildings with CityEngine, which is combined with ArcGIS technology for the geographic information. This approach produces extensive architectural 3D models with high visual quality and geometric details at low cost. It includes following two contents concretely. At first, directly writing computer generated architecture (CGA) shape grammar to complete procedural modeling of building and other objects. Secondly, using facade modeling based on two-dimensional images to generate architectural model as well as creating high geometry details. It is validated that this novel approach of procedural modeling is a significant step forward that reduces a lot of modeling times by CGA shape grammars.
KeywordsProcedural modeling CGA Facade modeling CityEngine ArcGIS
The authors gratefully acknowledge the project support from Sino-French Joint Complex City Laboratory, the authors also thank Professor Benoit Eynard for the constructive comments on the research project.
The authors gratefully acknowledge the support of colleagues in Université de Technologie de Compiègne and Shanghai University.
- Xu H, Badawi R, Fan X, et al.: Research for 3D visualization of Digital City based on SketchUp and ArcGIS. In: International Symposium on Spatial Analysis, Spatial-temporal Data Modeling, and Data Mining, International Society for Optics and Photonics, 74920Z-1–74920Z-6 (2009)Google Scholar
- Lorenz W.E.: Estimating the fractal dimension of architecture: using two measurement methods implemented in AutoCAD by VBA. In: Proceedings of the 30th eCAADe Conference, vol. 9, pp. 505–513 (2012)Google Scholar
- Chen, J.: Research on modeling approach for city building based on 3DS Max. Geomatics Tech. Equipment 01, 7–9 (2012)Google Scholar
- Parish, Y.I.H., Müller, P.: Procedural modeling of cities. In: Proceedings of the 28th Annual Conference on Computer Graphics and Interactive Techniques, pp. 301–308. ACM (2001)Google Scholar
- Aliaga, D.G., Vanegas, C.A., Beneš, B.: Interactive example-based urban layout synthesis. ACM Trans. Graphics (TOG) 27(5), 160–169 (2008)Google Scholar
- Nian, X., Xiang, Yu., Tingwei, X.: Research on rapid 3D modeling technology based on rules. Urban Geotech. Invest. Surveying 04, 5–8 (2013)Google Scholar