Toward Indoor Autonomous Flight Using a Multi-rotor Vehicle
The objective of the paper is to detail progress toward an indoor autonomous micro aerial vehicle (MAV) that uses a multi-layered hardware and software control architecture. We build a quadrotor MAV with design considerations for indoor use and document the design process. Our design uses a three-layered control system in both the hardware and software components. We focus on using a modular control architecture to allow for individual development of layers. For initial progress toward autonomous flight, we create an automated altitude control program that enables the MAV to hover stably at a given height. Experiments include hovering and directed flight through hallways with obstacles. Initial results provide optimistic feedback for future experiments concerning traversing indoor environments using an autonomous MAV with a three-layered control architecture.
KeywordsAutonomous robotics Indoor UAVs MAV control
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Achtelik, M., Bachrach, A., He, R., Prentice, S., Roy, N.: Autonomous navigation and exploration of a quadrotor helicopter in GPS-denied indoor environments. In: 1st Symposium on Indoor Flight, International Aerial Robotics Competition (2009)Google Scholar
- 2.Beul, M., Krombach, N., Zhong, Y., Droeschel, D., Nieuwenhuisen, M., Behnke, S.: A high-performance mav for autonomous navigation in complex 3D environments. In: International Conference on Unmanned Aircraft Systems (ICUAS) (2015)Google Scholar
- 4.Gupta, S.G., Ghonge, M.M., Jawandhiya, P.M.: Review of unmanned aircraft system (uas). International Journal of Advanced Research in Computer Engineering & Technology 2(4), 1646–1658 (2013)Google Scholar
- 5.Nieuwenhuisen, M., Droeschel, D., Beul, M., Behnke, S.: Autonomous navigation for micro aerial vehicles in complex gnss-denied environments. Journal of Intelligent & Robotic Systems, 1–18 (2015)Google Scholar
- 6.Satler, M., Unetti, M., Giordani, N., Avizzano, C.A., Tripicchio, P.: Towards an autonomous flying robot for inspections in open and constrained spaces. In: 2014 11th International Multi-Conference on Systems, Signals Devices (SSD), pp. 1–6, February 2014Google Scholar
- 7.Tang, Y., Li, Y.: Realization of the flight control for an indoor uav quadrotor. In: 2013 IEEE International Conference on Information and Automation (ICIA), pp. 1278–1283, August 2013Google Scholar