International Patient Survey (Part 1: Dupuytren Disease)
This survey of Dupuytren patients is covering 2235 patients and is the largest patient survey so far. It assesses the patients’ perception of the quality of counseling and of treatments. Both appear to exhibit considerable room for improvement. For patients it is important to find a doctor who is able to inform them about all treatment options and to advise which treatment is best for the specific situation of the patient; for doctors it is important to understand the patient’s personal preferences.
All treatments exhibit mixed ratings with fasciectomy, PNF, and collagenase injection rating about equal and radiotherapy slightly better. PNF and radiotherapy are lacking availability in some countries.
According to our results, smoking and family history are causing an earlier onset of Dupuytren disease. We don’t see an effect of moderately drinking alcohol on the onset of Dupuytren disease.
KeywordsPatients’ expectations Counseling Rating therapies Alcohol Smoking Country differences
- Carboni G, Orton H, Wach W (2015) The patient’s view and the international Dupuytren society. In: Warwick D (ed) Dupuytren’s disease – FESSH instructional course 2015. Edizione Medico Scientifiche, Turin, pp 57–64Google Scholar
- DiBenedetti DB, Nguyen D, Zografos L et al (2011) A population-based study of Peyronie’s disease: prevalence and treatment patterns in the United States. Adv. Urol. ID 282503.Google Scholar
- Eaton C (2016a) The next stage of clinical Dupuytren research: biomarkers and chronic disease research tools. In: Werker PMN, Dias J, Eaton C, Reichert B, Wach W (eds) Dupuytren Disease and Related Diseases – The Cutting Edge. Springer, Cham, pp 391–407Google Scholar
- Eaton C (2016b) IDDB: an international research database of the Dupuytren foundation. In: Werker PMN, Dias J, Eaton C, Reichert B, Wach W (eds) Dupuytren Disease and Related Diseases – The Cutting Edge. Springer, Cham, pp 427–435Google Scholar
- Seegenschmiedt MH, Keilholz L, Wielpütz M et al (2012) Long-term outcome of radiotherapy for early stage Dupuytren’s disease: a phase III clinical study. In: Eaton C et al (eds) Dupuytren’s disease and related hyperproliferative disorders. Springer, Heidelberg/New York, pp 349–371CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Schurer A, Manley G, Wach W (2016) International patient survey (Part 2: Ledderhose disease). In: Werker PMN, Dias J, Eaton C, Reichert B, Wach W (eds) Dupuytren Disease and Related Diseases – The Cutting Edge. Springer, Cham, pp 371–379Google Scholar