How Does Sustainability Help or Hinder Innovation?
This research analysed how sustainability impacts innovation in industry. Qualitative data was collected during interviews with employees from seven companies founded on sustainability principles. The data includes numerous examples of successful and unsuccessful sustainable design and manufacturing initiatives. Research findings indicate that improved packaging, eco-efficiency and the exploration of more sustainable solutions for standard products are fuelled by companies’ sustainability principles and successfully drive innovation. Whereas the supply of sustainable materials and trade-offs between sustainability and desirable material properties, as well as costs, represent challenges which can hinder innovation.
KeywordsCorporate Social Responsibility Corporate Culture Triple Bottom Line Manufacturing Initiative Diverse Company
- 3.Brundtland, G.: Our common future. World Commission on Environment and Development. Oxford University Press, Oxford (1987)Google Scholar
- 5.Eccles, R., Perkins, K.M., Serafeim, G.: How to become a sustainable company. MIT Sloan Manage. Rev. 53(4), 43–50 (2012)Google Scholar
- 6.Elkington, J.: Cannibals with forks: the triple bottom line of 21st century business. Capstone, Oxford (1997)Google Scholar
- 7.Lee, H.: Radically reinvent your supply chain: don’t tweak your supply chain—Rethink it end to end. Harvard Bus. Rev. 88(10), 63–69 (2010)Google Scholar
- 8.Liedtke, C.: Towards sustainable products and services. In: Seiler-Hausmann, J., Liedtke, C., von Weizsäcker, E. (eds.) Eco-efficiency and beyond: Towards the sustainable enterprise. Greenleaf, Sheffield, pp. 123–129 (2004)Google Scholar
- 9.Lubin, D., Esty, D.: The sustainability imperative: lessons for leaders from previous game-changing megatrends. Harvard Bus. Rev. 88(5), 42–50 (2010)Google Scholar
- 10.Marques, J., Mintzberg, H.: Why corporate social responsibility isn’t a piece of cake. MIT Sloan Manage. Rev. (2015) [Online]. Available from: http://sloanreview.mit.edu/article/why-corporate-social-responsibility-isnt-a-piece-of-cake/. Accessed 24 June 2015
- 11.Nidumolu, R., Prahalad, C., Rangaswami, M.: Why sustainability is now the key driver of innovation. Harvard Bus. Rev. 87(9), 56–64 (2009)Google Scholar
- 12.Porter, M., Kramer, M.: Creating shared value. Harvard Bus. Rev. 89(1–2), 62–77 (2011)Google Scholar
- 14.Tidd, J., Bessant, J.: Managing Innovation: Integrating Technological, Market and Organizational Change, 5th edn. Wiley, Chichester (2013)Google Scholar