Discovery of Genes Implied in Cancer by Genetic Algorithms and Association Rules
This work proposes a methodology to identify genes highly related with cancer. In particular, a multi-objective evolutionary algorithm named CANGAR is applied to obtain quantitative association rules. This kind of rules are used to identify dependencies between genes and their expression levels. Hierarchical cluster analysis, fold-change and review of the literature have been considered to validate the relevance of the results obtained. The results show that the reported genes are consistent with prior knowledge and able to characterize cancer colon patients.
KeywordsData mining Association rules Gene expression Cancer
The financial support from the Spanish Ministry of Science and Technology, projects TIN2011-28956-C02-02 and TIN2014-55894-C2-1-R, and from the Junta de Andalucia, P11-TIC-7528 and P12-TIC-1728, is acknowledged.
- 3.Kharya, S.: Using data mining techniques for diagnosis and prognosis of cancer disease. CoRR abs/1205.1923 (2012)Google Scholar
- 4.Sarvestani, A., Safavi, A., Parandeh, N., Salehi, M.: Predicting breast cancer survivability using data mining techniques. In: 2nd International Conference on Software Technology and Engineering (ICSTE) 2010, vol. 2, pp. 227–231 (2010)Google Scholar
- 6.Tang, J.Y., Chuang, L.Y., Hsi, E., Lin, Y.D., Yang, C.H., Chang, H.W.: Identifying the association rules between clinicopathologic factors and higher survival performance in operation-centric oral cancer patients using the apriori algorithm. Biomed. Res. Int. 2013, 7 (2013)Google Scholar
- 8.Martínez-Ballesteros, M., Troncoso, A., Martínez-Álvarez, F., Riquelme, J.C.: Improving a multi-objective evolutionary algorithm to discover quantitative association rules. Knowl. Inf. Syst. 1–29 (2015)Google Scholar
- 16.Kreso, A., van Galen, P., Pedley, N.M., Lima-Fernandes, E., Frelin, C., Davis, T., Cao, L., Baiazitov, R., Du, W., Sydorenko, N., Moon, Y.C., Gibson, L., Wang, Y., Leung, C., Iscove, N.N., Arrowsmith, C.H., Szentgyorgyi, E., Gallinger, S., Dick, J.E., O’Brien, C.A.: Self-renewal as a therapeutic target in human colorectal cancer. Nat. Med. 20(1), 29–36 (2014)CrossRefGoogle Scholar