Conserving the sp 2 hybridization of carbon atoms in tetrahedral arrangements is possible in both closed and opened nanostructures. Between the two classes, a structural relationship exists, and they can be easily transformed into each other to facilitate design of complex highly symmetric clusters. A classification of fullerenes with tetrahedral symmetry is here provided, and the corresponding zigzag and armchair tetrapodal nanotube junctions are discussed in detail.
KeywordsIsolate Pentagon Rule Stagger Conformation Periodic Minimal Surface Endohedral Metallofullerenes Octagonal Ring
CL Nagy acknowledges the financial support offered by the Babes-Bolyai University through Grant for Young Researchers GTC_34050/2013.
K Nagy acknowledges the financial support of the Sectorial Operational Program for Human Resources Development 2007–2013, co-financed by the European Social Fund, under the project number POSDRU/159/1.5/S/132400 with the title “Young successful researchers – professional development in an international and interdisciplinary environment”.
- Balaban AT, Bean DE, Fowler PW (2010) Patterns of ring current in coronene isomers. Acta Chim Slov 57:507–512Google Scholar
- Brinkmann G, Delgado Friedrichs O, Lisken S, Peeters A, Van Cleemput N (2010) CaGe – a virtual environment for studying some special classes of plane graphs – an update. MATCH Commun Math Comput Chem 63:533–552Google Scholar
- Chen Z, Jiao H, Buhl M, Hirsch A, Thiel W (2001a) The 2(N + 1)2 rule for spherical aromaticity: further validation. J Mol Model 7:161–163Google Scholar
- Frisch MJ, Trucks GW, Schlegel HB, Scuseria GE, Robb MA, Cheeseman JR, Scalmani G, Barone V, Mennucci B, Petersson GA, Nakatsuji H, Caricato M, Li X, Hratchian HP, Izmaylov AF, Bloino J, Zheng G, Sonnenberg JL, Hada M, Ehara M, Toyota K, Fukuda R, Hasegawa J, Ishida M, Nakajima T, Honda Y, Kitao O, Nakai H, Vreven T, Montgomery JA, Peralta JE, Ogliaro F, Bearpark M, Heyd JJ, Brothers E, Kudin KN, Staroverov VN, Kobayashi R, Normand J, Raghavachari K, Rendell A, Burant JC, Iyengar SS, Tomasi J, Cossi M, Rega N, Millam NJ, Klene M, Knox JE, Cross JB, Bakken V, Adamo C, Jaramillo J, Gomperts R, Stratmann RE, Yazyev O, Austin AJ, Cammi R, Pomelli C, Ochterski JW, Martin RL, Morokuma K, Zakrzewski VG, Voth GA, Salvador P, Dannenberg JJ, Dapprich S, Daniels AD, Farkas Ö, Foresman JB, Ortiz JV, Cioslowski J, Fox DJ (2009) Gaussian 09, revision A.1. Gaussian Inc, WallingfordGoogle Scholar
- Nagy K, Nagy CL, Tasnadi E, Katona G, Diudea MV (2013) Hyper-diamonds and dodecahedral architectures by tetrapodal carbon nanotube junctions. Acta Chim Slov 60:1–4Google Scholar
- Terrones M, Charlier JC, Banhart F, Grobert N, Terrones H, Ajayan PM (2002b) Towards nanodevice fabrication: joining and connecting single-walled carbon nanotubes. New Diamond Front Carbon Technol 12:315–323Google Scholar
- Terrones M, Banhart F, Hernández E, Grobert N, Charlier JC, Terrones H, Ajayan PM (2003) In-situ welding of single-walled carbon nanotubes and melting of encapsulated metal clusters in carbon shells: theory and experiment. Microsc Microanal 9:320–321Google Scholar