Survival analysis is the study of survival times and of the factors that influence them. Types of studies with survival outcomes include clinical trials, prospective and retrospective observational studies, and animal experiments. Examples of survival times include time from birth until death, time from entry into a clinical trial until death or disease progression, or time from birth to development of breast cancer (that is, age of onset). The survival endpoint can also refer a positive event. For example, one might be interested in the time from entry into a clinical trial until tumor response. Survival studies can involve estimation of the survival distribution, comparisons of the survival distributions of various treatments or interventions, or elucidation of the factors that influence survival times. As we shall see, many of the techniques we study have analogues in generalized linear models such as linear or logistic regression.
KeywordsProstate Cancer Survival Analysis Survival Distribution Advanced Gastric Cancer Patient Random Censoring
- 42.Li, L., Yan, J., Xu, J., Liu, C.-Q., Zhen, Z.-J., Chen, H.-W., Ji, Y., Wu, Z.-P., Hu, J.-Y., Zheng, L., et al.: CXCL17 expression predicts poor prognosis and correlates with adverse immune infiltration in hepatocellular carcinoma. PloS One 9(10), e110064 (2014)Google Scholar
- 43.Li, L., Yan, J., Xu, J., Liu, C.-Q., Zhen, Z.-J., Chen, H.-W., Ji, Y., Wu, Z.-P., Hu, J.-Y., Zheng, L., et al.: Data from: CXCL17 expression predicts poor prognosis and correlates with adverse immune infiltration in hepatocellular carcidata. Dryad Digital Repository, http://datadryad.org (2014)
- 51.Moss, R.A., Moore, D., Mulcahy, M.F., Nahum, K., Saraiya, B., Eddy, S., Kleber, M., Poplin, E.A.: A multi-institutional phase 2 study of imatinib mesylate and gemcitabine for first-line treatment of advanced pancreatic cancer. Gastrointest. Cancer Res. 5(3), 77–83 (2012)Google Scholar
- 63.Steinberg, M.B., Greenhaus, S., Schmelzer, A.C., Bover, M.T., Foulds, J., Hoover, D.R., Carson, J.L.: Triple-combination pharmacotherapy for medically ill smokers: A randomized trial. Ann. Intern. Med. 150(7), 447–454 (2009)Google Scholar
- 74.Wang, Y., Yu, Y.-y., Li, W., Feng, Y., Hou, J., Ji, Y., Sun, Y.-h., Shen, K.-t., Shen, Z.-b., Qin, X.-y., Liu, T.-s.: A phase II trial of xeloda and oxaliplatin (XELOX) neo-adjuvant chemotherapy followed by surgery for advanced gastric cancer patients with para-aortic lymph node metastasis. Cancer Chemother. Pharmacol. 73(6), 1155–1161 (2014)Google Scholar