Population Based Ant Colony Optimization for Reconstructing ECG Signals
A population based ant optimization algorithm (PACO) for reconstructing electrocardiogram (ECG) signals is proposed in this paper. In particular, the PACO algorithm is used to find a subset of nonzero positions of a sparse wavelet domain ECG signal vector which is used for the reconstruction of a signal. The proposed PACO algorithm uses a time window for fixing certain decisions of the ants during the run of the algorithm. The optimization behaviour of the PACO is compared with two random search heuristics and several algorithms from the literature for ECG signal reconstruction. Experimental results are presented for ECG signals from the MIT-BIT Arrhythmia database. The results show that the proposed PACO reconstructs ECG signals very successfully.
KeywordsPopulation based ACO ECG signals Signal reconstruction Subset selection problem
YCC received financial support granted by German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) through the Taiwan Summer Institute Programme within 57190416. TH was funded by the German Israeli Foundation (GIF) through the project “Novel gene order analysis methods based on pattern identification in gene interaction networks” within G-1051-407.4-2013.
- 5.Blumensath, T., Davies, M.E.: On the difference between orthogonal matching pursuit and orthogonal least squares. Technical report, University of Edinburgh (2007)Google Scholar
- 8.Mamaghanian, H., Khaled, N., Atienza, D., Vandergheynst, P.: Structured sparsity models for compressively sensed electrocardiogram signals: a comparative study. In: Biomedical Circuits and Systems Conference (BioCAS), 2011, pp. 125–128. IEEE (2011)Google Scholar
- 10.Cheng, Y.C., Tsai, P.Y.: Low-complexity compressed sensing with variable orthogonal multi-matching pursuit and partially known support for ECG signals. In: 2015 IEEE International Symposium on Circuits and Systems (ISCAS), pp. 994–997 (2015)Google Scholar
- 11.Dixon, A.M.R., Allstot, E.G., Chen, A.Y., Gangopadhyay, D., Allstot, D.J.: Compressed sensing reconstruction: comparative study with applications to ECG bio-signals. In: 2011 IEEE International Symposium on Circuits and Systems (ISCAS), pp. 805–808 (2011)Google Scholar
- 14.Lin, Y., Clauss, M., Middendorf, M.: Simple probabilistic population based optimization. In: IEEE Transactions on Evolutionary Computation, no. 99, p. 1 (2015)Google Scholar
- 16.Janson, S., Middendorf, M.: Flexible particle swarm optimization tasks for reconfigurable processor arrays. In: Proceedings of the 8th International Workshop on Nature Inspired Distributed Computing (NIDISC 2005), p. 8 (2005)Google Scholar
- 17.Goldberger, A.L., Amaral, L.A., Glass, L., Hausdorff, J.M., Ivanov, P.C., Mark, R.G., Mietus, J.E., Moody, G.B., Peng, C.K., Stanley, H.E.: PhysioBank, PhysioToolkit, and PhysioNet: components of a new research resource for complex physiologic signals. Circulation 101(23), 215–220 (2000)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 19.Bursa, M., Lhotska, L.: The use of ant colony inspired methods in electrocardiogram interpretation, an overview. In: The 2nd European Symposium on Nature-inspired Smart Information Systems [CD-ROM], NiSIS (2006)Google Scholar
- 21.Bursa, M., Lhotska, L.: Ant colony cooperative strategy in electrocardiogram and electroencephalogram data clustering. In: Krasnogor, N., Nicosia, G., Pavone, M., Pelta, D. (eds.) Nature Inspired Cooperative Strategies for Optimization (NICSO 2007). Studies in Computational Intelligence, vol. 129, pp. 323–333. Springer, Berlin (2008)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 22.Ramo, F.M.: Diagnosis of heart disease based on ant colony algorithm. Int. J. Comput. Sci. Inf. Secur. 11(5), 77 (2013)Google Scholar
- 24.Abd-Alsabour, N.: Binary ant colony optimization for subset problems. In: Dehuri, S., Jagadev, A.K., Panda, M. (eds.) Multi-Objective Swarm Intelligence. Studies in Computational Intelligence, vol. 592, pp. 105–121. Springer, Berlin (2015)Google Scholar
- 25.Solnon, C., Bridge, D.: An Ant Colony Optimization Meta-Heuristic for Subset Selection Problems. Technical report RR-LIRIS-2005-017, University Lyon (2005)Google Scholar