Why Teach Mindfulness to Clinicians?
Who is this physician standing at the threshold of the patient’s hospital room attending to her from what he perceives as a safe distance? When did he become more at ease extending words from the doorway rather than taking her hand at her bedside? Why did he not enter when asked to do so?
KeywordsMedical Student Emotional Intelligence Emotional Exhaustion Home Practice MBSR Programme
- 1.Rogers AI. Mourning rounds. The Pharos/Winter [Internet]. 2006 [cited 4 Feb 2015]. Available from: http://themindfuldoctor.com/prescriptions_mourning_rounds.html.
- 2.Gawande A. Being mortal: medicine and what matters in the end. Canada: Doubleday; 2014.Google Scholar
- 5.Kabat-Zinn J. Full catastrophe living: using the wisdom of your body and mind to face stress, pain, and illness. New York: Bantam Dell; 1990.Google Scholar
- 11.Opie J, Chambers R, Hassed C, Clarke D. Data on Monash 2013 medical students’ personality, mindfulness and wellbeing. 2015 (In preparation).Google Scholar
- 18.Breines JG, Chen S. Self-compassion increases self-improvement motivation. Personal Soc Psychol Bull. Published online 29 May 2012;42:415–429. doi: 10.1177/0146167212445599.
- 27.Hutchinson T, Dobkin P. Discover mindful congruence. Le Spécialiste. 2015;17(1):31–2.Google Scholar