Coherent Structures in a Turbulent Swirling Jet Under Vortex Breakdown. 3D PIV Measurements
- 831 Downloads
The current study reports on spatial structure of a global mode of self-sustaining oscillations in a turbulent swirling jet under vortex breakdown conditions. Ensembles of 2D and 3D velocity fields were measured by stereoscopic and tomographic PIV systems, respectively, and were analysed via proper orthogonal decomposition. For the 2D PIV, the spatial resolution was sufficient to resolve most of the turbulent kinetic energy of the turbulent flow. The resolution in the case of tomographic PIV was lower, but the 3D instantaneous velocity fields unambiguously revealing that the global mode corresponds to a spiralling structure, counter-winded to the direction of the jet swirl.
KeywordsTurbulent Kinetic Energy Proper Orthogonal Decomposition Vortex Core Recirculation Zone Global Mode
This work is funded by a grant from the Russian Science Foundation (project No. 14-29-00203 in NSU, supervised by Professor Kemal Hanjalic).
- 1.A.K. Gupta, D.G. Lilley, N. Syred, Swirl Flows (Abacus Press, Kent, England, 1984)Google Scholar
- 3.R. Örlü, P.H. Alfredsson, An experimental study of the near-field mixing characteristics of a swirling jet. Flow Turbul. Combust. 80, 323–350 (2008)Google Scholar
- 7.S.V. Alekseenko, P.A. Kuibin, V.L. Okulov, in Theory of concentrated vortices: an Introduction (Springer, 2007)Google Scholar
- 10.K., Kuwana, K. Sekimoto, K. Saito, F.A. Williams, Scaling fire whirls. Fire Saf. J. 43, 252–257 (2004)Google Scholar
- 11.A.Y. Varaksin, M.E. Romash, V.N. Kopeitsev, M.A. Gorbachev, Physical simulation of air tornados: some dimensionless parameters. High Temp. 49, 310–313 (2011)Google Scholar
- 13.A.Y. Varaksin, M.V. Protasov, M.E. Romash, V.N. Kopeitsev, Generation of free concentrated fire vortices under laboratory conditions. High Temp. 53, 595–598Google Scholar
- 23.P. Holmes, J.L. Lumley, G. Berkooz, in Turbulence, coherent structures, dynamical systems and symmetry (Cambridge University Press, 1996)Google Scholar
- 24.K. Oberleithner, M. Sieber, C.N. Nayeri, C.O. Paschereit, C. Petz, H.-C. Hege, B.R. Noack, I. Wygnanski, Three-dimensional coherent structures in a swirling jet undergoing vortex breakdown: stability analysis and empirical mode construction. J. Fluid Mech. 679, 383–414 (2011)CrossRefzbMATHGoogle Scholar