Mixed Domain Macromodels for RF MEMS Capacitive Switches
A method to extract macromodels for RF MEMS switches is proposed. The macromodels include both the coupled structural-electric behavior of the switch as well as its RF behavior. The device with distributed parameters is subject to several analyses from which the parameters of the macromodel are extracted, by model reduction. From the coupled structural-electrostatic analysis the parametric capacitance and the effective stiffness coefficients of the switch are extracted. From the RF characteristics in the up stable state, the transmission line parameters are extracted. Finally, all parameters are combined in a Spice circuit model, which is controlled by the MEMS actuation voltage and is excited with the RF signal. The procedure is applied to a capacitive switch. Relative modeling errors with respect to the non-reduced model, considered as reference, of less than 3 % for the RF characteristics and less than 1 % for the mechanical characteristics are obtained.
The financial support of the Romanian Government program PN-II-PT-PCCA-2011-3, no. 5/2012 and of the Sectoral Operational Programme HRD 2007–2013 of the Ministry of European Funds through POSDRU/159/1.5/S/132395 is acknowledged.
- 3.Hannot, S.: Modeling strategies for electro–mechanical microsystems with uncertainty quantification. Ph.D. Thesis, Delft University of Technology (2010)Google Scholar
- 5.Veijola, T.: Nonlinear circuit simulation of MEMS components: controlled current source approach. In: ECCTD’01 - European Conference on Circuit Theory and Design, August 28–31, 2001, Espoo, Finland, vol. III, pp. 377–380 (2001)Google Scholar
- 6.Shafique, M., Virk, K., Menon, A., Madsen, J.: System-level modeling and simulation of MEMS-based sensors. In: 9th International Multitopic Conference, IEEE INMIC 2005, pp. 1–6 (2005)Google Scholar
- 8.Niessner, M., Schrag, G., Wachutka, G., Iannacci, J.: Modeling and fast simulation of RF-MEMS switches within standard IC design frameworks. In: International Conference on Simulation of Semiconductor Processes and Devices (SISPAD), 2010, pp. 317–320 (2010)Google Scholar
- 9.Qian, J.Y., Li, G.P., De Flaviis, F.: A parametric model of low-loss RF MEMS capacitive switches. Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference, APMC 2001, Taipei, Taiwan (2001)Google Scholar
- 10.Ioan, D., Ciuprina, G.: Reduced order models of on-chip passive components and interconnects, workbench and test structures. In: Schilders, W.H.A., van der Vorst, H.A., Rommes, J. (eds.) Model Order Reduction: Theory, Research Aspects and Applications, vol. 13, pp. 447–467. Springer, Heidelberg (2008)CrossRefGoogle Scholar