Observer-Based Distributed Controllers Design for a Cantilever Beam
Advancement of piezoelectric transducer technology enables distributed actuation and sensing along flexible structures for vibration suppression. This study addresses the controller design under the paradigm of cooperative control and optimisation. A finite element model of a cantilever beam, coupled with piezoelectric actuators and accelerometers is constructed and then validated with a physical setup. Based on the finite element model, distributed controllers are designed. Considering the existence of feed-through terms in the system, each controller applies its control action based not only on its local measurement and state estimations from a few neighboring agents, but also on the exact control actions of all the other controllers as well, to realize global vibration suppression. The control design problem is reformulated as optimising a scalar subject to a set of linear matrix inequalities (LMIs). The vibration suppression performance of the cooperative control scheme is examined in both time domain and frequency domain via simulations.
KeywordsVibration damping FEM Observer Cooperative control LMIs
This work is supported by the European Commission under the framework of FP7-PEOPLE-2013-ITN—Marie-Curie Action: “Innovative Training Networks”: ARRAYCON—applications of distributed control on smart structures, with project reference 605087.
- 1.Li, K.: Structural vibration damping with synchronized energy transfer between piezoelectric patches. Ph.D. dissertation, INSA de Lyon (2012)Google Scholar
- 2.Halim, D.: Vibration analysis and control of smart structures. Ph.D. dissertation, The University of Newcastle (2002)Google Scholar
- 8.Ayres, G., Paganini, F.: Convex method for localized control design in spatially invariant systems. In: Proceedings of the IEEE Conference on Decision and Control, pp. 3751–3756 (2000)Google Scholar
- 16.Hassan, H., Yves, B., Razek, A.: Finite element model of a beam structure with piezoelectric patches using RL shunt circuits. In: AC2011, 14th International Conference on Active Systems for Dynamics Markets, pp. 124–131 (2011)Google Scholar
- 21.CVX Research, I.: CVX: Matlab Software for Disciplined Convex Programming, Version 2.0 (2012)Google Scholar
- 22.Welch, P.D.: The use of fast Fourier transform for the estimation of power spectra: a method based on time averaging over short, modified periodograms. IEEE Trans. Audio Electroacoust. AU-15(2), 70–73 (1967)Google Scholar