Application to Public Health
- 476 Downloads
This chapter will discuss how integrative health services and holistic approaches to health can improve overall patient health and health systems outcomes. This will include discussions of improvements in preventative care, chronic disease management, increasing health care costs, and improving system efficiency. The chapter will conclude with a discussion of end of life care and the recent trend of Physician Orders for Life-Sustaining Treatment.
KeywordsChronic disease Integrative medicine Integrative health Complementary and Alternative Medicine (CAM) Chronic care model Chronic illness Preventive care Health spending End of life Physician Orders for Life-Sustaining Treatment POLST
- Dunn, P. M., Tolle, S. W., Moss, A. H., & Black, J. S. (2007). The POLST paradigm: Respecting the wishes of patients and families. Annals of Long Term Care, 15(9), 33.Google Scholar
- Fries, J. F., Koop, C. E., Beadle, C. E., Cooper, P. P., England, M. J., Greaves, R. F., … Wright, D. (1993). Reducing health care costs by reducing the need and demand for medical services. New England Journal of Medicine, 329(5), 321–325.Google Scholar
- Institute of Medicine. (2001). Crossing the quality chasm: A new health system for the 21 st century. Retrieved from https://iom.nationalacademies.org/~/media/Files/Report%20Files/2001/Crossing-the-Quality-Chasm/Quality%20Chasm%202001%20%20report%20brief.pdf.Google Scholar
- Kodner, D. L., & Spreeuwenberg, C. (2002). Integrated care: Meaning, logic, applications, and implications—A discussion paper. International journal of integrated care, 2.Google Scholar
- Partnership for Solutions. (2004, September). Chronic conditions: Making the case for ongoing care. Retrieved from http://www.partnershipforsolutions.org/DMS/files/chronicbook2004.pdf
- The National Physician Orders for Life Sustaining Treatment Paradigm. (2012–2015). Programs in your state. Retrieved from http://www.polst.org/programs-in-your-state/
- The National Physician Orders for Life-sustaining Treatment Paradigm. (2015). What is POLST? Retrieved from http://www.polst.org/about-the-national-polst-paradigm/what-is-polst/
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. (2015, September 22). Preventive services covered under the Affordable Care Act. Fact Sheets. Retrieved from http://www.hhs.gov/healthcare/facts/factsheets/2010/07/preventive-services-list.html.