Calibration, Validation and Uncertainty Quantification of Nominally Identical Car Subframes
In this paper a finite element model, with over half a million degrees-of-freedom, of a car front subframe has been calibrated and validated against experimental MIMO data of several nominally identical components. The spread between the individual components has been investigated and is reported. Sensor positioning was performed with an extended effective independence method, using system gramians to reject sensors with redundant information. The Fisher information matrix was used in the identification of the most significant model calibration parameters. Validation of the calibrated model was performed to evaluated the difference between the nominal and calibrated model, and bootstrapping used to investigate the validity of the calibrated parameters. The parameter identification, calibration, validation and bootstrapping have been performed using the open-source MATLAB tool FEMCali.
KeywordsModel updating Uncertainty quantification Parameter identification Bootstrapping Femcali
Volvo Car Corporation is gratefully acknowledged for providing the funding for this paper.
- 1.Ewins, D.J.: Modal Testing: Theory, Practice and Application, 2nd edn., 576pp. Wiley-Blackwell, Baldock, Hertfordshire, Philadelphia, PA (2000)Google Scholar
- 2.Friswell, M.I., Mottershead, J.E.: Finite Element Model Updating in Structural Dynamics. Solid Mechanics and Its Applications, vol. 38. Springer Netherlands, Dordrecht (1995)Google Scholar
- 4.Abrahamsson, T., et al.: Calibration and cross-validation of a car component using frequency response functions and a damping equalization technique. In: 26th International Conference on Noise and Vibration Engineering, ISMA 2014, Including the 5th International Conference on Uncertainty in Structural Dynamics, USD 2014, pp. 2625–2640 (2014)Google Scholar
- 5.Abrahamsson, T.J.S., et al.: Calibration and validation of a car subframe finite element model using frequency responses. In: Mains, M. (ed.) Topics in Modal Analysis. Conference Proceedings of the Society for Experimental Mechanics Series, vol. 10, pp. 9–22. Springer International Publishing, Cham (2015)Google Scholar
- 6.Larsson, K.-J., et al.: Calibration and cross-validation of a car component model using repeated testing. In: Atamturktur, H.S., et al. (eds.) Model Validation and Uncertainty Quantification. Conference Proceedings of the Society for Experimental Mechanics Series, vol. 3, pp. 339–350. Springer International Publishing, Cham (2015)Google Scholar
- 7.Granado, I.E.: Model calibration of a vehicle tailgate using frequency response functions. Chalmers Student Theses (2015). http://studentarbeten.chalmers.se. Accessed on 22 Oct 2015
- 9.Gibanica, M., Abrahamsson, T.J.S., Kammer, D.C.: Redundant information rejection in sensor localisation using system gramians. In: Proceedings of the 34th IMAC, Orlando, FL (2016)Google Scholar
- 10.Vakilzadeh, M.K,. et al.: Experiment design for improved frequency domain subspace system identification of continuous-time systems. In: Proceedings of the 17th IFAC Symposium on System Identification, Bejing (2015)Google Scholar
- 13.Craig, R.R.J., Kurdila, A.J.: Fundamentals of Structural Dynamics, 2nd edn, 744pp. Wiley, Hoboken, NJ (2006)Google Scholar