Promoting Sustainable Consumption—a View from the Ground
- 1.1k Downloads
The chapter is based on a talk given at the SCORAI workshop in London entitled “What to do if your community is not ready for Transition”. It considers the issues that need to be confronted by activists seeking to promote sustainable consumption and production in local communities, focusing on a case in which I have been closely involved, in rural Scotland. The chapter identifies actions taken and skills and resources required to enable these to be implemented. However it also outlines why initiatives fail and some ideas for increasing the chances of success.
KeywordsCharitable organizations Community activism Community projects Environmental activism Scotland Transition towns Wind farms
- FEASTA (The Foundation for the Economics of Sustainability), 2011: The Transition Towns movement: Its Huge Significance and a Friendly Criticism; at: http://www.feasta.org/2011/04/06/the-transition-towns-movement-its-huge-significance-and-a-friendly-criticism/ (11 May 2015).
- IPPR (The Institute for Public Policy Research), 2013: Sustainable Consumption in the UK: A Selection of Case Studies; at: http://www.ippr.org/assets/media/images/media/files/publication/2013/02/sustainable-consumption-UK_Feb2013_10302.pdf (11 May 2015).
- Muirhall Energy, 2015: Muirhall Windfarm Extension; at: http://www.muirhallenergy.co.uk/muirhallwindfarmext.html (11 May 2015).
- Riddoch, L., 2013: Blossom: What Scotland Needs to Flourish (Edinburgh: Luath Press).Google Scholar
- The Independent, 2015: Councils Rely on Local Street Champions to Pick Up Litter Prune Hedges and Grit Minor Roads as Funds Run Out; at: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/councils-rely-on-local-street-champions-to-pick-up-litter-prune-hedges-and-grit-minor-roads-as-funds-run-out-9985738.html.
- The Scottish Government, 2012: Scottish Index of Multiple Deprivation, 2012: at: http://simd.scotland.gov.uk/publication-2012/ (11 May 2015).
- Young, A.; Young, E., (2012): The New Road: Charting Scotland’s Inspiration Communities (Glendaruel: Argyll Publishing).Google Scholar