Spatial Effects of Delay-Induced Stochastic Oscillations in a Multi-scale Cellular System
The combined spatial effect of time delay and intrinsic noise on gene regulation is studied numerically. It is based on the multi-scale chemo-mechanical model of the epithelium. The protein fluctuations in each cell are described by a single-gene auto-repressor model with constant delay. It is found that time delay, noise and spatial signaling can result in the protein pattern formation even when deterministic description exhibits no patterns.
KeywordsStochastic simulations Pattern formation Time delay
The research has been supported by the Ministry of Education and Science of Perm Region (grant C-26/004.4) and grant of Russian Fund for Basic Research (14-01-96022r_ural_a).
- 6.Bratsun, D., Volfson, D., Hasty, J., Tsimring, L.: Non-Marcovian processes in Gene Regulation. In: Kish, L.B., Lindenberg, K., Gingl, Z. (eds.) Noise in Complex Systems and Stochastic Dynamics III. Proceedings of the SPIE, vol. 5845, pp. 210–219 (2005)Google Scholar
- 9.Li, C.-W., Chen, B.-S.: Stochastic spatio-temporal dynamic model for gene/protein interaction network in early drosophila development. Gene Regul. Syst. Biol. 3, 191–210 (2009)Google Scholar
- 10.Burrage, K., Burrage, P.M., Leier, A., Marquez-Lago, T., Nicolau, D.V.: Stochastic simulation for spatial modelling of dynamic processes in a living cell. In: Koeppl, H., Densmore, D., Setti, G., Di Bernardo, M. (eds.) Design and Analysis of Biomolecular Circuits: Engineering Approaches to Systems and Synthetic Biology, pp. 43–62. Springer, Heidelberg (2011)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 15.Bratsun, D.A., Merkuriev, D.V., Zakharov, A.P., Pismen, L.M.: Multiscale modeling of tumour growth induced by circadian rhythm disruption in epithelial tissue. J. Biol. Phys. 42, 107–132 (2016)Google Scholar
- 17.Koseska, A., Ullner, E., Volkov, E., Kurths, J., Garcia-Ojalvo, J.: Cooperative differentiation through clustering in multicellular populations. J. Theor. Biol. 263, 189–202 (2010)Google Scholar