De novo Genome Sequencing and Gene Prediction in Lolium perenne, Perennial Ryegrass
A 1.11Gbp de novo assembly of the Lolium perenne genome was generated, containing 424,745 scaffolds and with N50 of 25,193. Gene prediction on genomic, mitochondrial and chloroplast scaffolds was carried out using both ab initio and RNA-Seq based methods. Ab initio gene prediction, carried out using wheat-based gene models, identified a total of 188,822 potential gene models from genomic scaffolds and 109 from mitochondrial. Mapping of reads from a broad-based RNA-Seq study identified 67,706 potential genes from genomic scaffolds, 90 from mitochondrial and 18 from chloroplast. Comparison of ab initio predicted genes with RNA-Seq genes identified 44,252 predicted gene models from genomic scaffolds and three from mitochondrial that overlapped with RNA-Seq derived transcripts by more than 20 % of their length.
KeywordsPerennial ryegrass Genome sequencing RNA-Seq Transcriptome Gene prediction
- CLC Bio (2008 – 2015): CLC Assembly Cell [Software]. Available at http://www.clcbio.com/products/clc-assembly-cell/
- Joshi NA, Fass JN (2011): Sickle: A sliding-window, adaptive, quality-based trimming tool for FastQ files (Version 1.33) [Software]. Available at https://github.com/najoshi/sickle.
- Rostoks N, Park Y, Ramakrishna W, Ma J, Druka A, Shiloff B, SanMiguel P, Jiang Z, Brueggeman R, Sandhu D, Gill K, Bennetzen J, Kleinhofs A (2002): Genomic sequencing reveals gene content, genomic organization, and recombination relationships in barley. Functional & Integrative Genomics 2: 51–59Google Scholar
- Stanke M, Waack S (2003): Gene prediction with a hidden Markov model and a new intron submodel. Bioinformatics 19 (suppl 2): ii215–ii225Google Scholar
- Trapnell C, Williams BA, Pertea G, Mortazavi A, Kwan G, van Baren MJ, Salzberg SL, Wold BJ, Pachter L (2010): Transcript assembly and quantification by RNA-Seq revels unanno-tated transcripts and isoform switching during cell differentiation. Nature Biotechnology 28: 511–515CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar