Investigating the 2011 Tsunami Impact on the Teizan Canal and the Old River Mouth in Sendai Coast. Miyagi Prefecture; Japan
This study investigates the effect of old river mouth and the Teizan Canal to the 2011 tsunami at Arahama and Akaiko, both part of Sendai Coast, Japan. At both locations, the Teizan Canal is situated parallel to the shoreline. This canal affected the tsunami inundation as well as the return flow, effectively draining the water back to the sea. In addition, there were old river mouths, which have been closed for many years in these locations. Nevertheless, the return flow of the 2011 tsunami caused the breaching of the sandy coast at the old river mouth locations. A detail topography analysis was carried out based on DEM data. The topography data show that this area is a river basin with mild slope towards the old river mouth location. The data was further analyzed by performing a flow accumulation analysis using GIS. The results confirm that the topographical features in both locations caused the flow to accumulate through the local channel and canal towards the locations of the old river mouth, which caused the breaching.
KeywordsJapan Earthquake and Tsunami 2011 River mouth Breaching Teizan Canal
The authors would like to thank the Sendai Office of River and National Highway, Ministry of Land Infrastructure and Transport for the valuable DEM topographic data. In addition, the video recording taken from the helicopter was provided by Tohoku Regional Development Bureau and the historical maps were provided by Miyagi Prefectural Archives and Sendai City Museum.
- Adityawan MB, Roh M, Tanaka H, Mano A, Udo K (2012) Investigation of tsunami propagation characteristics in river and on land induced by The Great East Japan Earthquake 2011. J Earthq Tsunami 6:1250033, 22 pages. doi: 10.1142/S1793431112500339
- Adityawan MB, Dao NX, Tanaka H, Mano A, Udo K (2014) Morphological changes along the Ishinomaki Coast induced by the 2011 Great East Japan Tsunami and the relationship with coastal structures. Coast Eng J 56(3):1450016, 21 pages. doi: 10.1142/S0578563414500168
- Dao NX, Adityawan MB, Tanaka H, Lin P (2013) Effectiveness of a shore-parallel canal to reduce tsunami impact. In: Proceedings of 34th IAHR World Congress, p 1317Google Scholar
- Encyclopedia of the Teizan Canal. http://www.teizanunga.com/Pages/default.aspx. Accessed Feb 2015 (in Japanese)
- Mori N, Takahashi T, The 2011 Tohoku Earthquake Tsunami Joint Survey Group (2012) Nationwide post event survey and analysis of the 2011 Tohoku Earthquake Tsunami. Coast Eng J 54(1):1250001, 27 pp. doi: 10.1142/S0578563412500015
- Shito M, Inuzuka I, Amaya I, Saito H, Kurata J (2014) Numerical simulations and experiments on tsunami for the design of coastal and offshore structures. IHI Eng Rev 46(2):21–25Google Scholar
- Suppasri A, Koshimura S, Imai K, Mas E, Gokon H, Muhari A, Imamura F (2012) Damage characteristic and field survey of the 2011 Great East Japan Tsunami in Miyagi Prefecture. Coast Eng J 54(1):1250005, 30 pages. doi: 10.1142/S0578563412500052
- Tanaka H, Nguyen XT, Umeda M, Hirao R, Pradjoko E, Mano A, Udo K (2012) Coastal and estuarine morphology changes induced the 2011 Great East Japan Earthquake Tsunami. Coast Eng J 54(1):1250010, 25 pages. doi: 10.1142/S0578563412500106
- Tappin DR, Evans HM, Jordan CJ, Richmond B, Sugawara D, Goto K (2012) Coastal changes in the Sendai area from the impact of the 2011 tōhoku-oki tsunami: interpretations of time series satellite images, helicopter-borne video footage and field observations. Sediment Geol 282(30):151–174. doi: 10.1016/j.sedgeo.2012.09.011 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Tsimopoulou V, Jonkman SN, Kolen B, Maaskant B, Mori N, Yasuda T (2012) A multi-layered safety perspective on the tsunami disaster in Tohoku, Japan. In: Comprehensive flood risk management. Taylor & Francis Group, LondonGoogle Scholar
- Udo K, Sugawara D, Tanaka H, Imai K, Mano A (2012) Impact of the 2011 Tohoku Earthquake and Tsunami on beach morphology along the northern Sendai Coast. Coast Eng J 54(1):1250009, 15 pages. doi: 10.1142/S057856341250009X