On the Communication Complexity of the Vertex Cover Problem and 3-Satisfiability Problem in ECP Systems
In this paper, the communication complexity of non-confluent solutions for Vertex Cover Problem (VCP) and 3-Satisfiability Problem (3SP) in Evolution-Communication P systems (ECP) are analyzed. We use dynamical communication measures suggested by previous literature in our analysis. Solutions are constructed in several modes of operation: when communication is prioritized over evolution (CPE), when evolution is prioritized over communication (EPC) and when no priority is imposed (CME). VCP and 3SP are problems that have already been problems of interest for works that investigate communication complexity in an ECP system variant called Evolution-Communication P system with Energy (ECPe system). In this paper, we are interested in employing the technique used in ECPe system, this time for solutions in ECP system.
KeywordsMembrane computing Evolution-communication P systems Communication complexity Vertex cover problem 3-satisfiability problem
N. Hernandez and R. Juayong would like to thank the DOST PCIEERD for the HRIDD HRDP grants I-15-1006-19 and I-15-0715-21, respectively. N. Hernandez is supported by the UPAA San Francisco & Mely & Rick Ray foundation professorial chair. R. Juayong is supported by the DOST-ERDT Scholarship Program. H. Adorna is funded by a DOST-ERDT research grant and the Semirara Mining Corporation professorial chair of the UP Diliman, College of Engineering.
- 1.Adorna, H., Păun, G., Pérez-Jiménez, M.J.: On communication complexity in evolution-communication P systems. Rom. J. Inf. Sci. Technol. 13(2), 113–130 (2010)Google Scholar
- 2.Alhazov, A.: Communication in Membrane Systems with Symbol Objects. Ph.D. thesis, Universitat Rovira I Virgili (2006)Google Scholar
- 4.Ciobanu, G., Păun, G., Stefanescu, G.: Sevilla carpets associated with P systems. In: Proceedings of the Brainstorming Week on Membrane Computing, Tarragona, Spain, pp. 135–140 (2003)Google Scholar
- 5.Francia, S., Francisco, D., Juayong, R., Adorna, H.: On communication complexity of some hard problems in ECPe systems with priority. Philippine Comput. J. 9(2), 14–25 (2014)Google Scholar
- 8.Hernandez, N.H.S., Juayong, R.A.B., Adorna, H.N.: On communication complexity of some hard problems in ECPe systems. In: Alhazov, A., Cojocaru, S., Gheorghe, M., Rogozhin, Y., Rozenberg, G., Salomaa, A. (eds.) CMC 2013. LNCS, vol. 8340, pp. 206–224. Springer, Heidelberg (2014) CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 9.Juayong, R., Adorna, H.: Communication complexity of evolution-communication P systems with energy and Sevilla carpet. Philippine Comput. J. 6(1), 34–40 (2010)Google Scholar
- 10.Lu, C., Zhang, X.: Solving vertex cover problem by means of tissue P systems with cell separation. Int. J. Comput. Commun. Control 5(4), 540–550 (2010)Google Scholar
- 13.Păun, G.: Further open problems in membrane computing. In: Păun, G. (eds.) Proceedings of the Second Brainstorming Week on Membrane Computing, Sevilla, February 2004, Technical report, Research Group on Natural Computing, Sevilla University, Spain (2004)Google Scholar
- 14.Păun, G.: Introduction to membrane computing. In: Ciobanu, G., P ăun, G., Pérez-Jiménez, M.J. (eds.) Applications of Membrane Computing, pp. 1–42. Springer, Heidelberg (2006) Google Scholar