Searching for Visual Literacy: Secondary School Students are Creating Infographics
Visual literacy is an essential group of competencies for interpreting and generating visual messages within the scope of 21st century skills. More than interpreting visuals, 21st century learners should be equipped with knowledge and ability to generate complex visual messages, which is a harder skill to teach and achieve. In this study, creating infographics is handled as a learning strategy to teach secondary school students how to generate effective visual messages. Research was carried out with the collaboration of science and technology, visual arts, and information technology teachers within a design model research method perspective. The effectiveness of the model is investigated by pre and posttests, retention, and transfer tests. Through the findings on effectiveness of first implementation loop of the infographic design model, a co-constructed design model is proposed. According to the design model proposal, “content” and “visual design” generation was determined central components related to Information Technology, Visual Arts fields for creating infographic.
KeywordsInfographics Secondary school Visual literacy
- 3.Metros, S.E., Woolsey, K.: Visual literacy: an institutional imperative. Educause Review 41(3), 80–81 (2006)Google Scholar
- 4.Sims, E., et al.: Visual literacy: what is it and do we need it to use learning technologies effectively? Paper presented at Australasian Society for Computers in Learning in Tertiary Education (ASCILITE 2002), pp. 8–11, Auckland, New Zeland, 8–11 December 2002Google Scholar
- 5.Smiciklas, M.: The Power of Infographics: Using Pictures to Communicate and Connect with Your Audiences. Pearson Education Inc., New Jersey (2012)Google Scholar
- 7.Krauss, J.: Infographics: more than words can say. Learn. Leading Technol. 39(5), 10–13 (2012)Google Scholar
- 8.Lamb, A., Johnson, L.: Infographics part 1: invitations to inquiry. Teacher Librarian 4, 54–58 (2014)Google Scholar
- 9.Grabowski, B.L.: Generative learning contributions to the design of instruction and learning. In: Jonassen, D.J. (ed.) Handbook of Research on Educational Communications and Technology, pp. 719–743. Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, Hillsdale (2004)Google Scholar
- 11.Nuhoğlu Kibar, P., Akkoyunlu, B.: A new approach to equip students with visual literacy skills: use of infographics in education. In: Kurbanoğlu, S., Špiranec, S., Grassian, E., Mizrachi, D., Catts, R. (eds.) ECIL 2014. CCIS, vol. 492, pp. 456–465. Springer, Heidelberg (2014)Google Scholar
Open Access This chapter is distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial License, which permits any noncommercial use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original author(s) and source are credited.