Model-in-the-Loop Testing of a Railway Interlocking System
Model-driven techniques offer new solutions to support development and verification and validation (V&V) activities of software-intensive systems. As they can reduce costs, and ease the certification process as well, they are attractive also in safety-critical domains. We present an approach for Model-in-the-loop testing within an OMG-based model-driven process, aimed at supporting system V&V activities. The approach is based on the definition of a model of the system environment, named Computation Independent Test (CIT) model. The CIT enables various forms of system test, allowing early detection of design faults. We show the benefits of the approach with reference to a pilot project that is part of a railway interlocking system. The system, required to be CENELEC SIL-4 compliant, has been provided by the Hungarian company Prolan Co. in the context of an industrial-academic partnership.
KeywordsModel-Driven Engineering Safety-critical systems Model-Driven Testing
This research has been supported by the EU FP7 Programme 2007-2013 under REA grant agreement n. 324334 CECRIS (CErtification of CRItical Systems, www.cecris-project.eu) within the IAPP (Industry Academia Partnerships and Pathways) Marie Curie Action of the People Programme.
- 1.Brambilla, M., Cabot, J., Wimmer, M.: Model-Driven Software Engineering in Practice, 1st edn. Morgan & Claypool Publishers, USA (2012)Google Scholar
- 2.OMG: MDA Guide (2003) Version 1.0.1. http://www.omg.org/cgi-bin/doc?omg/03-06-01
- 3.Baker, P., Dai, Z.R., Grabowski, J., Haugen, Ø., Schieferdecker, I., Williams, C.: Model-Driven Testing: Using the UML Testing Profile, 1st edn. Springer, Heidelberg (2008)Google Scholar
- 4.Scippacercola, F., Pietrantuono, R., Russo, S., Zentai, A.: Model-driven engineering of a railway interlocking system. In: Proceedings of MODELSWARD 2015, 3rd International Conference on Model-Driven Engineering and Software Development, SCITEPRESS, pp. 509–519 (2015)Google Scholar
- 10.Esterel Technologies: SCADE Suite Product Description (2014). http://www.esterel-technologies.com
- 11.Lawrence, A., Seisenberger, M.: Verification of railway interlockings in SCADE. MRes Thesis, Swansea University (2011)Google Scholar
- 12.Invensys Rail: Invensys Rail Discovers Agile Development Process with SCADE Suite (2014). http://www.esterel-technologies.com/success-stories/invensys-rail/
- 14.Panesar-Walawege, R., Sabetzadeh, M., Briand, L.: A model-driven engineering approach to support the verification of compliance to safety standards. In: Proceedings of ISSRE 2011, IEEE 22nd International Symposium on Software Reliability Engineering, pp. 30–39 (2011)Google Scholar
- 16.Amalfitano, D., Fasolino, A.R., Scala, S., Tramontana, P.: Towards automatic model-in-the-loop testing of electronic vehicle information centers. In: Proceedings of WISE ’14, International Workshop on Long-term Industrial Collaboration on Software Engineering, pp. 9–12. ACM (2014)Google Scholar
- 18.IBM Corp.: Rational Rhapsody Developer (2014). http://www-03.ibm.com/software/products/it/ratirhap