Multilingual Online Communications in Corporate Websites: Cases of Romanian Dental Practices and Their Application to Health Tourism
Health is for the modern citizen an ongoing and almost obsessive concern. The process of globalization, which dissolved physical boundaries and allowed the mobility of people, favored the development of health tourism which has seen a real boom and became a social and economic phenomenon that is extremely interesting. In this context, dental care tourism begins to solidify in countries like Romania, because of its competitive price and the quality of services. Therefore, the communication in this environment has to adapt by its new forms, with the demands of potential foreign patients and become an international communication. The limited research in the dental field associated with the provision of online communication in order to reach potential customers offers ground to this exploratory research. This study employs content analysis to explore rated websites of dental practices of the cross-border region of Romania. Findings reveal features that ensure the informative function but which are able to increase the visibility of the dental practices across national borders through multilingual online communication.
KeywordsHealth tourism Dental websites Multilingual online communication Romania
JEL ClassificationM3 M37
- Bugnar, N., & Meşter, L. (2008). Local development project and innovating the rural tourism. Tourism and hospitality industry 2007: New trends in tourism and hospitality management. Biennial International Congress (pp. 325–336). Opatija: Faculty of tourism and Hospitality Management, University of Rijeka, 7–9 May 2008.Google Scholar
- Chiruta, R. (2013, July 22). România, ţara cu cei mai mulţi absolvenţi de medicină din lume. România Liberă. Retrieved from http://www.romanialibera.ro/societate/educatie/romania--tara-cu-cei-mai-multi-absolventi-de-medicina-din-lume-308273. Accessed 12 April 2015, at 14:00.
- Claeyssen, Y. (2009). Marketingul prin e-mail. Polirom.Google Scholar
- Consiliul Judetean Bihor. (2014). Strategia pentru dezvoltarea durabila a judetului, pentru perioada 2014–2020 [Sustainable development strategy Bihor 2014–2020]. Retrieved from http://www.cjbihor.ro/pdf/Strategia%20pentru%20dezvoltarea%20durabila%20a%20judetului%20Bihor%202014-2020.pdf. Accessed 12 April 2015, at 14:15.
- Constantin, F. (2014a). Le tourisme roumain startégiquement ouvert vers l’international. L’est-il aussi vers la communication plurilingue? (I). Annals of the University of Oradea, Economic Sciences, XXIII(2), 56–65. Retrieved from http://anale.steconomiceuoradea.ro/volume/2014/AUOES-2-2014.pdf. Accessed 12 April 2015, at 14:05.
- Constantin, F. (2014b). Le tourisme roumain startégiquement ouvert vers l’international. L’est-il aussi vers la communication plurilingue? (II). Annals of the University of Oradea, Economic Sciences, XXIII(2), 65–75. Retrieved from http://anale.steconomiceuoradea.ro/volume/2014/AUOES-2-2014.pdf. Accessed 12 April 2015, at 14:10.
- Constantinescu-Dobra, A. (2012). The Internet Marketing and the SMEs. A comparative analysis of dentistry strategies for online and printed advertising. Marketing from Information to Decisions, 5, 75–88.Google Scholar
- Constantinescu-Dobra, A. (2014). Content marketing in dentists’ websites. An empirical comparative study between Romania and the UK. In S. Vlad & V. Ciupa (Eds.), IFMBE Proceedings, International Conference on Advancements of Medicine and Health Care through Technology (Vol. 44, pp. 107–112). Cham: Springer.Google Scholar
- ELAN. (2006). Effects on the European economy of shortages of foreign language skills in enterprise. Retrieved from http://ec.europa.eu/languages/policy/strategic-framework/documents/elan_en.pdf. Accessed 12 April 2015, at 14:25.
- Esnard, L. (2005). Le boom de la chirurgie à prix réduit. Téoros [Online], 24–3. Retrieved from http://teoros.revues.org/2225. Accessed 12 April 2015, at 14:30.
- Eurobarometer. (2013). Retrieved from http://ec.europa.eu/public_opinion/archives/ebs/ebs_404_fact_el_en.pdf. Accessed 12 April 2015, at 14:35.
- European Commission. (2005). A new framework strategy for multilingualism (p. 14). Retrieved from http://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/?uri=CELEX:52005DC0596. Accessed 12 April 2015, at 14:20.
- Geangu, M., Orzan, G., Gardan, D., & Geangu, I. (2010). Dentists and Romanian consumers’ perception regarding marketing activity for dental healthcare services. Marketing from Information to Decision (pp. 154–165). Cluj-Napoca: Risoprint.Google Scholar
- Graddol, D. (2006). English next: Why global English may mean the end of ‘English as a Foreign Language’. British Council. Retrieved from http://vigdis.hi.is/sites/vigdis.hi.is/files/images/einangrun_enskumaelandi_folks.pdf. Accessed 12 April 2015, at 15.05.
- Grosseck, G. (2006). Marketing si communicare pe internet (Ed.). Lumen, Iasi.Google Scholar
- Herring, S. (2004). Content analysis for new media: Rethinking the paradigm. New Research for new media: Innovative research methodologies symposium working papers and readings (pp. 47–66). Minneapolis, MN: University of Minnesota School of Journalism and Mass Communication.Google Scholar
- http://www.cliniciimplantdentar.ro. Accessed 12 April 2015, at 14:48.
- http://www.dental-art.ro. Accessed 12 April 2015, at 14:42.
- http://www.dentistonline.ro. Accessed 12 April 2015, at 14:40.
- http://www.imtj.com/news/?entryid82=424423. Accessed 12 April 2015, at 14:44.
- http://www.medici-stomatologi.ro. Accessed 12 April 2015, at 14:46.
- http://www.oradea-stomatolog.ro/intrebari-si-raspunsuri. Accessed 12 April 2015, at 14:50.
- http://www.seomark.co.uk/how-does-google-rank-websites/. Accessed 12 April 2015, at 14:52.
- http://www.WorlDental.org. Accessed 12 April 2015, at 14:54.
- Kavoura, A., & Constantin, F. (2015). Communicating messages of dental websites in Oradea, Romania. 4th International Conference in quantitative and qualitative methodologies in the economic and administrative sciences, 21–22 May 2015.Google Scholar
- Kiss, K. (2015). The challenges of developing health tourism in the Balkans. Tourism, 63(1), 97–110.Google Scholar
- Le Borgne, C. (2007). Le tourisme médical: une nouvelle façon de se soigner. Les Tribunes de la santé, 2(15), 47–53. Retrieved from http://www.cairn.info/revue-les-tribunes-de-la-sante-2007-2-p-47.htm. Accessed 12 April 2015, at 15.
- Leiss, W., Kline, S., Jhally, S., & Botterill, J. (2005). Social communication in advertising. New York: Taylor & Francis.Google Scholar
- Loh, C.-P. (2015). Trends and structural shifts in health tourism: Evidence from seasonal time-series data on health related travel spending by Canada during 1970–2010. Social Science & Medicine, 132, 173–180.Google Scholar
- National Institute of Statistics for Romania. (2015). Communicat De Presa, Nr. 25 din 3 februarie 2015. Retrieved from http://www.insse.ro/cms/ro/content/turism. Accessed 12 April 2015, at 15:10.
- Neuman, W. (2003). Social research methods: Qualitative and quantitative approaches. Boston, MA: Pearson Education.Google Scholar
- Proulx, L. (2005). Tourisme, santé et bien-être. Téoros [Online], 24–3. Available at http://teoros.revues.org/2243. Accessed 29 April 2015, at 15:20.
- Robson, C. (2010). Real world research (2nd ed.). Translation Dalakou, V., & Vasilikou, K. Athens: Gutenberg (in Greek).Google Scholar
- Romano, R., & Baum, N. (2015). The business side of developing a social media presence into your medical practice. In N. Baum et al. (Eds.), The complete business guide for a successful medical practice (pp. 239–248). Cham: Springer.Google Scholar
- Sarantopoulos, I., Katsoni, V., & Geitona, M. (2014). A supply side investigation of medical tourism and ICT use in Greece. Procedia, 148, 370–377.Google Scholar
- Srivastava, V. K., & Mahajan, S. (2011). Practice management with dental lasers. Journal of Laser Dentistry, 19(2), 213–215.Google Scholar
- Planul de dezvoltare regională Transilvania Nord 2014–2020. (2015). Retrieved from http://www.nord-vest.ro/Document_Files/Planul-de-dezvoltare-regionala-2014-2020/00001724/7r238_PDR_2014_2020.pdf. Accessed 29 April 2015, at 15:15.