The Changing Academic Profession in Canada: Personal Characteristics, Career Trajectories, Sense of Identity/Commitment and Job Satisfaction
The reported study focused on tenured and tenure-track academics with ranks of Assistant Professor, Associate Professor and Professor of 18 Canadian universities. Based on the Canadian CAP (Changing Academic Profession) survey the general profile of the academic profession in Canada is described in terms of sociodemographic variables (gender, marital status, ethnicity, parents’ educational attainment, etc.), academic experience and perspectives on their work (academic attitudes, institutional and disciplinary affiliation). Canadian faculty present a strong international character and look at teaching and research as compatible.
- Altbach, P. G. (Ed.). (1996). The international academic profession: Portraits of fourteen countries. Princeton: Carnegie Foundation.Google Scholar
- CAUT. (2008). 2008 Almanac of post-secondary education in Canada. Ottawa: Canadian Association of University Teachers.Google Scholar
- Fisher, D., Rubenson, K., Bernatchez, J., Clift, R., Jones, G., Lee, J., MacIvor, M., Meredith, J., Shanahan, T., & Trottier, C. (2007). Canadian federal policy and postsecondary education. Vancouver: Centre for Policy Studies in Higher Education and Training.Google Scholar
- Metcalfe, A. S., Fisher, D., Gingras, Y., Jones, G. A., Rubenson, K., & Snee, I. (2011). Canada: Perspectives on governance and management. In W. Locke, W. K. Cummings, & D. Fisher (Eds.), Changing governance and management in higher education: The perspectives of the academy (pp. 151–174). Dordrecht: Springer.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Weinrib, J., Jones, G. A., Metcalfe, A. S., Fisher, D., Gingras, Y., Rubenson, K., & Snee, I. (2013). Canada: Canadian university academics’ perceptions of job satisfaction – “…the future is not what it used to be”. In P. J. Bentley, H. Coates, I. R. Dobson, L. Goedegebuure, & V. L. Meek (Eds.), Job satisfaction around the academic world (pp. 83–102). Dordrecht: Springer.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Wolf-Wendel, L., Twombly, S. B., & Rice, S. (2004). The two-body problem: Dual-career-couple hiring practices in higher education. Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University Press.Google Scholar