Stereo Road Detection Based on Ground Plane
This paper presents a robust road perception algorithm aimed to detect multiple lanes with temporal integration, one of the most important tasks in Advanced Driver Assistance Systems (ADAS). A new vision-based system is proposed, consisting on three parts: a line marker detection algorithm, a road line classification and a lane tracking integration. The goal is to detect the position, type and number of road lanes. The developed approach is characterized by the use of the bird’s eye view, road marks filtering based on gradient space algorithms, robust features descriptor for line classification, and road tracking based on time of life for each detected lane. The road detection is done according to the Spanish standard IC 8.2. The system was tested on the test platform IvvI 2.0.
KeywordsRoad line detection Bird eye view
This work was supported by automation engineering department from de La Salle University, Bogotá-Colombia; Administrative Department of Science, Technology and Innovation (COLCIENCIAS), Bogotá-Colombia and the Spanish Government through the CICYT projects (TRA2013-48314-C3-1-R) and (TRA2011-29454-C03-02) and Comunidad de Madrid through SEGVAUTO_TRIES \((S2013/MIT-2713)\).
- 2.de Carreteras, I.: 8.2 ic marcas viales. (1987)Google Scholar
- 4.Felisa, M., Zani, P.: Robust monocular lane detection in urban environments. In: 2010 IEEE Intelligent Vehicles Symposium (IV), pp. 591–596. IEEE (2010)Google Scholar
- 5.Liu, G., Worgotter, F., Markelic, I.: Combining statistical hough transform and particle filter for robust lane detection and tracking. In: 2010 IEEE Intelligent Vehicles Symposium (IV), pp. 993–997. IEEE (2010)Google Scholar
- 7.Muad, A.M., Hussain, A., Samad, S.A., Mustaffa, M.M., Majlis, B.Y.: Implementation of inverse perspective mapping algorithm for the development of an automatic lane tracking system. In: 2004 IEEE Region 10 Conference TENCON 2004, pp. 207–210. IEEE (2004)Google Scholar
- 8.Rodríguez-Garavito, C., Ponz, A., García, F., Martín, D., de la Escalera, A., Armingol, J.: Automatic laser and camera extrinsic calibration for data fusion using road plane. In: 2014 17th International Conference on Information Fusion (FUSION), pp. 1–6. IEEE (2014)Google Scholar