Oxide TFTs @ FCT-UNL
Oxide thin-film transistors (TFTs) optimization is imperative in order to obtain a successful integration of circuits. In fact, parameters as turn-on voltage (Von) or gate leakage current (IG) are known to influence circuit characteristics. These parameters are greatly affected by the properties of the dielectric layer and its interface with the semiconductor. Therefore, amorphous high-κ dielectrics acquire an important role, especially in multicomponent single or multilayer structures, where materials with different electrical properties (e.g., high-κ and high bandgap energy, EG) are combined to acquire dielectrics with the best possible performance and reliability.
In this chapter a brief overview about fabrication of thin films and TFTs is provided. Then, it presents a detailed discussion on the characterization of sputtered amorphous multicomponent high-κ dielectrics based on Ta2O5 and SiO2, using single and multilayer structures, and their integration in indium-gallium-zinc oxide (IGZO) TFTs. Finally, an existing model for a-Si:H TFTs is adapted to IGZO TFTs technology.
KeywordsAtomic Force Microscopy Multilayer Structure Rutherford Backscattering Spectroscopy Substrate Bias Spectroscopic Ellipsometry
- 1.P. Barquinha, Transparent oxide thin-film transistors: production, characterization and integration. Ph.D. thesis, 2010Google Scholar
- 2.H.Q. Chiang, Development of oxide semiconductors: materials, devices, and integration. Ph.D. thesis, Oregon State University, 2007Google Scholar
- 4.R.C. Jaeger, Introduction to Microelectronic Fabrication (Addison-Wesley Longman Publishing, Boston, 1987)Google Scholar
- 12.N.P. Barradas, C. Jeynes, R.P. Webb, Simulated annealing analysis of Rutherford backscattering data. Appl. Phys. Lett. 71(2), 291 (1997)Google Scholar
- 13.W.-K. Chu, J.W. Mayer, M.-A. Nicolet, Backscattering Spectrometry (Academic, New York, 1978)Google Scholar
- 21.D. Kang, H. Lim, C. Kim, I. Song, J. Park, Y. Park, J. Chung, Amorphous gallium indium zinc oxide thin film transistors: sensitive to oxygen molecules. Appl. Phys. Lett. 90(19), 192101 (2007)Google Scholar
- 22.G. Bahubalindruni, V.G. Tavares, P. Barquinha, C. Duarte, R. Martins, E. Fortunato, P.G. de Oliveira, Basic analog circuits with a-GIZO thin-film transistors: modeling and simulation, in 2012 International Conference on Synthesis, Modeling, Analysis and Simulation Methods and Applications to Circuit Design (SMACD) (IEEE, New York, 2012), pp. 261–264Google Scholar