Analysis of Group-Based Communication in WhatsApp
- 828 Downloads
This work investigates group-based communication in WhatsApp based on a survey and the analysis of messaging logs. The characteristics of WhatsApp group chats in terms of usage and topics are outlined. We present a classification based on the topic of the group and classify anonymized messaging logs based on message statistics. Finally, we model WhatsApp group communication with a semi-Markov process, which can be used to generate network traffic similar to real messaging logs.
KeywordsGroup-based communication WhatsApp Survey Classification Semi-Markov process Network traffic model Mobile instant messaging Group chats Mobile networks
This work was partly funded by Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft (DFG) under grants HO 4770/1-2 and TR257/31-2, and in the framework of the EU ICT Project SmartenIT (FP7-2012-ICT-317846). The authors alone are responsible for the content.
- 1.Church, K., de Oliveira, R.: What’s up with Whatsapp? Comparing mobile instant messaging behaviors with traditional SMS. In: Proceedings of the 15th International Conference on Human-computer Interaction with Mobile Devices and Services, pp. 352–361 (2013)Google Scholar
- 3.Ester, M., Kriegel, H.P., Sander, J., Xu, X.: A density-based algorithm for discovering clusters in large spatial databases with noise. In: Kdd, pp. 226–231 (1996)Google Scholar
- 4.Fiadino, P., Schiavone, M., Casas, P.: Vivisecting Whatsapp Through large-scale measurements in mobile networks. In: Proceedings of the 2014 ACM Conference on SIGCOMM, pp. 133–134 (2014)Google Scholar
- 5.Koum, J.: Facebook post (2015). https://www.facebook.com/jan.koum/posts/10152994719980011?pnref=story. Accessed on 26 January 2015
- 6.Park, S., Cho, K., Lee, B.G.: What makes smartphone users satisfied with the mobile instant messenger? Social presence, flow, and self-disclosure. Int. J. Multimedia Ubiquit. Eng. 9, 315 (2014). Please check and confirm the edits made in Ref. Google Scholar
- 7.Statistica: Most popular global mobile messenger apps as of December 2014, based on number of monthly active users (in millions) (2014). http://www.statista.com/statistics/258749/most-popular-global-mobile-messenger-apps/. Accessed on January 26, 2015
- 8.Yeboah, J., Ewur, G.D.: The impact of Whatsapp messenger usage on students performance in tertiary institutions in Ghana. J. Educ. Pract. 5, 157–164 (2014)Google Scholar