Application of Ants Ideas on Image Edge Detection
The aim of the image edge detection is to find the points, in a digital image, at which the brightness level changes sharply. Normally they are curved lines called edges. Edge detection is a fundamental tool in image processing, machine vision and computer vision, particularly in the areas of feature detection and feature extraction. Edge detection may lead to finding the boundaries of objects. It is one of the fundamental steps in image analysis. Edge detection is a hard computational problem. In this paper we apply a multiagent system. The idea comes from ant colony optimization. We use the swarm intelligence of the ants to search the image edges.
KeywordsEdge Detection Multiagent System Image Edge Heuristic Information False Edge
This work was supported by the Bulgarian National Scientific Fund under the grants DFNI 02/20 “Efficient Parallel Algorithms for Large Scale Computational Problems” and DFNI 02/5 “InterCriteria Analysis. A New Approach to Decision Making” and by EC grant AcomIn.
- 1.Baterina, A.V., Oppus, C.: Image edge detection using ant colony optimization. WSEAS Trans. Sig. Process. 6(8), 58–67 (2010)Google Scholar
- 6.Gonzalez, R.C., Woods, R.E.: Digital Image Processing. Prentice-Hall Inc., Upper Saddle River (2002)Google Scholar
- 8.Jevtic, A., Li, B.: Ant algorithm for adaptive edge detection. In: Abrao, T. (ed.) Search Algorithms for Engineering Optimization, Chapter 2, INTECH publisher (2013)Google Scholar
- 9.Mlsna, P.A., Rodriguez, J.J.: Gradient and laplacian-type edge detection. In: Bovik, A. (ed.) Handbook of Image and Video Processing, pp. 415–431. Academic Press, San Diego (2000)Google Scholar
- 12.Tian, J., Yu, W., Xie, S.: An ant colony optimization algorithm for image edge detection. In: IEEE Congress on Evolutionary Computation, pp. 751–756. Hong Kong (2008)Google Scholar
- 13.Zhou, P., Ye, W.Q., Wang, Q.: An improved canny algorithm for edge detection. J. Comput. Inf. Syst. 7(5), 1516–1523 (2011)Google Scholar