Motivators and Deterrents for Data Description and Publication: Preliminary Results
In the recent trend of data-intensive science, data publication is essential and institutions have to promote it with the researchers. For the past decade, institutional repositories have been widely established for publications, and the motivations for deposit are well established. The situation is quite different for data, as we argue on the basis of a 5-year experience with research data management at the University of Porto. We address research data management from a disciplined yet flexible point of view, focusing on domain-specific metadata models embedded in intuitive tools, to make it easier for researchers to publish their datasets. We use preliminary data from a recent experiment in data publishing to identify motivators and deterrents for data publishing.
KeywordsInstitutional Repository Metadata Record Metadata Model Staging Platform Lightweight Ontology
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Amorim, R.C., Castro, J.A., Silva, J.R., Ribeiro, C.: A comparative study of platforms for research data management: interoperability, metadata capabilities and integration potential. In: Rocha, A., Correia, A.M., Costanzo, S., Reis, L.P. (eds.) New Contributions in Information Systems and Technologies. AISC, vol. 353, pp. 101–111. Springer, Heidelberg (2015) Google Scholar
- 3.Borgman, C.L.: The conundrum of sharing research data. Journal of the Association for Information Science and Technology 63(6), 1059–1078 (2012)Google Scholar
- 4.Candela, L., Castelli, D., Manghi, P., Tani, A.: Data journals: A survey. Journal of the Association for Information Science and Technology 66(9), 1747–1762 (2015)Google Scholar
- 5.Castro, J.A., Silva, J.R., Ribeiro, C.: Creating lightweight ontologies for dataset description: practical applications in a cross-domain research data management workflow. In: ACM/IEEE Joint Conference on Digital Libraries, pp. 313–316. ACM Press (2014)Google Scholar
- 7.Silva, J.R., Ribeiro, C., Lopes, J.C.: The Dendro research data management platform: applying ontologies to long-term preservation in a collaborative environment. In: Proceedings of the iPres 2014 Conference (2014)Google Scholar