Combined Polynomial Prediction and Max-Min Fair Bandwidth Redistribution in Ethernet Passive Optical Networks
In this paper we discuss optical network unit (ONU) based traffic prediction in Ethernet passive optical networks (EPONs). The technique utilizes least-mean-square polynomial regression for the estimation of incoming traffic and adaptive least-mean-squares filtering for the estimation of the EPON cycle duration. Given these estimates, the ONU successfully predicts its bandwidth requirements at the next available transmission opportunity and communicates this prediction, rather than its actual buffer occupancy, to the optical line terminal (OLT). The proposed scheme is assessed via simulations and it is demonstrated that a delay improvement of 30 % can be achieved without modifying the dynamic bandwidth assignment process at the OLT. In addition, we further explore aspects of traffic prediction combined with a max-min fair bandwidth redistribution scheme at the OLT. Initial results show that the combination of the ONU-based prediction and the OLT-based fair bandwidth redistribution further improves the delay.
KeywordsPrediction Ethernet passive optical network Polynomial prediction Dynamic bandwidth allocation Max-Min fairness Delay
This work has been funded by the NSRF (2007–2013) Syner-gasia-II/EPAN-II Program “Asymmetric Passive Optical Network for xDSL and FTTH Access,” General Secretariat for Research and Technology, Ministry of Education, Religious Affairs, Culture and Sports (contract no. 09SYN-71-839).
- 1.Mukherjee, B.: Optical WDM Networks. Springer, US (2006). University of California, DavisGoogle Scholar
- 4.Kramer, G., Mukherjee, B., Maislos, A.: Ethernet passive optical networks. In: Dixit, S. (ed.) Multiprotocol Over DWDM: Building the Next Generation Optical Internet, pp. 229–260. Wiley, Chichester (2003)Google Scholar
- 9.Sadek, N., Khotanzad, A.: A dynamic bandwidth allocation using a two-stage fuzzy neural network based traffic predictor. In: Proccedings of IEEE International Conference on Neural Networks, Hungary, pp. 2407–2412 (2004)Google Scholar
- 11.Hwang, I.-S., Lee, J-Y, Liem, A.: Qos-based genetic expression programming predicition scheme in the EPON’s. In: Progress in Electromegnetics Research Symposium Proceedings, 1589 (2012)Google Scholar
- 13.Morato, D., Acacil, J., Diez, L.A, Izal, M., Magana, E.: On linear prediction of internet traffic for packet and burst switching networks. In: IEEE ICCN (2001)Google Scholar
- 14.Chan, C.A., Attygalle, M., Nirmalathas, A.: Local traffic prediction-based bandwidth allocation scheme in EPON with active forwarding remote repeater node. In: 14th Optoelectronics and Communications Conference (2009)Google Scholar
- 16.“Omnet++ Simulator”. http://www.omnetpp.org/
- 17.Keshav, S.: An Engineering Approach to Computer Networking. Addison-Wesley, Reading (1997)Google Scholar