Energy Service Description for Capabilities of Distributed Energy Resources
The increasing number of volatile Distributed Energy Resources (DERs) in the electricity grid implies a rising level of complexity and dynamics. The integration and management of these DERs have lead to the introduction of the aggregator role, with the aim of providing energy services to system operators and the market. With regard to the often changing capabilities of DERs, the dynamical aggregation of DERs to meet the demand is still a matter of concern. In this paper a generic description for the capabilities of DERs will be introduced in order to allow the aggregator to efficiently search and find DERs suitable for aggregation. These reduced as possible and abstracted descriptions of the DER capabilities are called Energy Services, which should be complete enough for the aggregators search demands.
The Energy Service definition will be part of a recent research project, the Open System for Energy Services (OS4ES) that is going to enable the aggregator to control dynamically configured large scale Virtual Power Plants with IEC 61850. The results of this project and its field test should contribute to the further development of IEC 61850.
- 1.Communication networks and systems for power utility automation - Part 7–420: Basic communication structure - Distributed energy resources logical nodes. IEC Std. 61850-7-420 (2009)Google Scholar
- 3.Backers, A., Bliek, F., Broekmans, M., Groosman, C., de Heer, H., van der Laan, M., de Koning, M., Nijtmans, J., Nuygen, P., Snberg, T., Staring, B., Volkerts, M., Woittiez, E.: An introduction to the universal smart energy framework. USEF Foundation (2014)Google Scholar
- 4.Bundesnetzagentur: Smart Grid und Smart Market - Eckpunktepapier der Bundesnetzagentur zu den Aspekten des sich verändernden Energieversorgungssystems (2011)Google Scholar
- 5.CEN-CENELEC-ETSI Smart Grid Coordination Group: Sustainable processes. Brussels, Belgium, European Committee for Standardization (2012)Google Scholar
- 6.Dethlefs, T., Renz, W.: A distributed registry for service-based energy management systems. In: Industrial Electronics Society, IECON 2013, 39th Annual Conference of the IEEE, pp. 4710–4714. IEEE (2013)Google Scholar
- 7.Dielmann, K., van der Velden, A.: Virtual power plants (vpp)-a new perspective for energy generation? In: Modern Techniques and Technologies, pp. 18–20. IEEE (2003)Google Scholar
- 8.Flexible power alliance network: flexible power application infrastructure 14, 10 (2014)Google Scholar
- 9.Kreger, H., Estefan, J.: Navigating the SOA open standards landscape around architecture. OASIS, and OMG, Joint Paper, The Open Group (2009)Google Scholar
- 10.OASIS: Universal Description, Discovery, and Integration (UDDI) 3.0.2. Organization for the Advancement of Structured Information Standards (2004)Google Scholar
- 11.Seal, B., Cleveland, F., Hefner, A.: Distributed Energy Management (DER): Advanced Power System Management Functions and Information Exchanges for Inverter-based DER Devices, Modelled in IEC 61850–90-7. Technical Report, IEC TC57 WG17 (2012)Google Scholar
- 12.Smart Grid Task Force Expert Group 3: EG3 First Year Report: Options on handling Smart Grids Data (2013)Google Scholar