Results and Discussion
This chapter presents reliability improvement results of the proposed cross-layer reliability optimization flow (integrating all the novel contributions of this manuscript) compared to state-of-the-art single-layer reliability optimizing techniques. Evaluation of individual contributions compared to their relevant state-of-the-art techniques has already been presented in the respective chapters, i.e., Chaps. 4 and 5. First the processor synthesis, aging estimation, and process variation maps are presented in Sect. 7.1. Section 7.2 presents different benchmark applications from the MiBench benchmark suite . Section 7.3 presents an overview of comparison partners, parameters considered for evaluation, and an overview of the results explained in subsequent sections. Section 7.4 presents the summary of comparison results for various chip sizes, numerous process variation maps, and various scenarios of simultaneously executing applications. Sections 7.5 and 7.6 present more in-depth results for different chip sizes, different application scenarios, and selected chips, respectively.
- 13.M. A. Alam, S. Mahapatra, “A comprehensive model for PMOS NBTI degradation”, Microelectronics Reliability, pp. 71–81, 2005.Google Scholar
- 36.S. Mukherjee, M. Kontz, and S. Reinhardt, “Detailed design and evaluation of redundant multi-threading alternatives”, in Proceedings of the 29th Annual IEEE International Symposium on Computer Architecture (ISCA), pp. 99–110, 2002.Google Scholar
- 37.A. Shye, J. Blomstedt, T. Moseley, V. Reddi, and D. Connors, “PLR: A software approach to transient fault tolerance for multicore architectures”, in IEEE Transactions on Dependable and Secure Computing, vol. 6, no. 2, pp. 135–148, 2009.Google Scholar
- 38.J. Smolens, B. Gold, B. Falsafi, and J. Hoe, “Reunion: Complexity-effective multicore redundancy”, in Proceedings of the 39th Annual IEEE/ACM International Symposium on Microarchitecture (MICRO), IEEE Computer Society, pp. 223–234, 2006.Google Scholar
- 40.H. Kufluoglu and M. Alam, “A Generalized Reaction–Diffusion Model With Explicit H–Dynamics for Negative-Bias Temperature-Instability (NBTI) Degradation”, in IEEE Transactions on Electron Devices, vol. 54, no. 5, pp. 1101–1107, 2007.Google Scholar
- 111.M. R. Guthaus, J. S. Ringenberg, D. Ernst, T. M. Austin, T. Mudge, and R. B. Brown, “MiBench: A free, commercially representative embedded benchmark suite”, in IEEE 4 th Annual Workshop on Workload Characterization, 2001.Google Scholar
- 118.DFG SPP1500 Program on Dependable Embedded Systems: http://spp1500.itec.kit.edu/.
- 122.Synopsys, “Synopsys Design Compiler User Guide” [Online]. Available: https://solvnet.synopsys.com/dow_retrieve/latest/dcug/dcug.html .
- 123.Synopsys, “Accelerate Design Innovation with Design Compiler®”, Synopsys [Online]. Available: http://www.synopsys.com/Tools/Implementation/RTLSynthesis/Pages/default.aspx .
- 124.ModelSim, “ModelSim—Leading Simulation and Debugging”, Mentor [Online]. Available: http://www.mentor.com/products/fpga/model .
- 141.M. Demertzi, M. Annavaram, and M. Hall, “Analyzing the effects of compiler optimizations on application reliability”, IEEE International Symposium on Workload Characterization (IISWC), pp. 184–193, 2011.Google Scholar
- 142.S. Rehman, A. Toma, F. Kriebel, M. Shafique, J.-J. Chen, and J. Henkel, “Reliable Code Generation and Execution on Unreliable Hardware under Joint Functional and Timing Reliability Considerations”, in: 19th IEEE Real-Time and Embedded Technology and Applications Symposium (RTAS), pp. 273–282, 2013.Google Scholar