Integrating Data Across Workplace Learning Applications with a Social Semantic Infrastructure
This paper presents our experiences using a social semantic infrastructure that implements a semantically-enriched Actor Artifact Network (AAN) to support informal learning at the workplace. Our previous research led us to define the Model of Scaling Informal Learning, to identify several common practices when learning happens at the workplace, and to propose a social semantic infrastructure able to support them. This paper shows this support by means of two illustrative examples where practitioners employed several applications integrated into the infrastructure. Thus, this paper clarifies how workplace learning processes can be supported with such infrastructure according to the aforementioned model. The initial analysis of these experiences gives promising results since it shows how the infrastructure mediates in the sharing of contextualized learning artifacts and how it builds up an AAN that makes explicit the relationships between actors and artifacts when learning at the workplace.
KeywordsInformal Learn Workplace Learning Collective Knowledge Healthcare Domain Construction Domain
This research has been partially funded by the FP7 ICT Workprogramme of the European Community: “Learning Layers - Scaling up Technologies for Informal Learning in SME Clusters” (http://www.learning-layers.eu/, grant no: 318209).
- 2.Ley, T., Cook, J., Dennerlein, S., Kravcik, M., Kunzmann, C., Pata, K., Purma, J., Sandars, J., Santos, P., Schmidt, A., Al-Smadi, M., Trattner, C.: Scaling informal learning at the workplace: a model and four designs from a large-scale design-based research effort. Br. J. Educ. Technol. 45(6), 1036–1048 (2014)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 3.Lindstaedt, Stefanie, Kump, Barbara, Beham, Günter, Pammer, Viktoria, Ley, Tobias, Dotan, Amir, de Hoog, Robert: Providing varying degrees of guidance for work-integrated learning. In: Wolpers, Martin, Kirschner, Paul A., Scheffel, Maren, Lindstaedt, Stefanie, Dimitrova, Vania (eds.) EC-TEL 2010. LNCS, vol. 6383, pp. 213–228. Springer, Heidelberg (2010) CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 4.Schmidt, A., Hinkelmann, K., Ley, T., Lindstaedt, S., Maier, R., Riss, U.: Conceptual foundations for a service-oriented knowledge and learning architecture: Supporting content, process and ontology maturing. In Pellegrini, T., Auer, S., Tochtermann, K., Schaffert, S., eds.: Integrating Knowledge Management, New Media Technologies and Semantic Systems. Springer (2009) 79–94Google Scholar
- 5.Siadaty, M., Gasevic, D., Jovanovic, J., Pata, K., Milikic, N., Holocher-Ertl, T., Hatala, M.: Self-regulated Workplace Learning: A Pedagogical Framework and Semantic Web-based Environment. Educational Technology & Society 15(4), 75–88 (2012)Google Scholar
- 6.Kowald, D., Dennerlein, S., Theiler, D., Walk, S., Trattner, C.: The social semantic server a framework to provide services on social semantic network data. In: Proceedings of the I-SEMANTICS 2013 Posters & Demonstrations Track co-located with 9th International Conference on Semantic Systems. Volume 1026, Graz, Austria, Citeseer (2013) 50–54Google Scholar
- 7.Shum, S.B., Ferguson, R.: Social Learning Analytics. Educational Technology & Society 15(3), 3–26 (2012)Google Scholar
- 8.Plomp, T.: Education design research: An introduction. In: Plomp, T., Nieveen, N. (eds.) An Introduction to Educational Design Research, pp. 9–35. Netherland Institute for Curriculum Development, Enchende, The Netherlands (2009)Google Scholar
- 9.Reinhardt, W., Moi, M., Varlemann, T.: Artefact-Actor-Networks as tie between social networks and artefact networks. In: Proceedings of the 5th International Conference on Collaborative Computing: Networking, Applications and Worksharing, Washington, USA, IEEE (2009) 1–10Google Scholar
- 10.Dennerlein, S.: Understanding and Supporting Intersubjective Meaning Making in Socio-Technical Systems: A Cognitive Psychology Perspective. In: Proceedings of the Doctoral Consortium at the European Conference on Technology Enhanced Learning (EC-TEL), Paphos, Cyprus, CEUR (2013) 14–19Google Scholar
- 11.Ruiz-Calleja, A., Dennerlein, S., Tomberg, V., Pata, K., Ley, T., Theiler, D., Lex, E.: Supporting learning analytics for informal workplace learning with a social semantic infrastructure. In: Proceedings of the 10th European Conference on Technology Enhanced Learning (EC-TEL 2015), Toledo, Spain, Springer (2015) In pressGoogle Scholar
- 12.Dennerlein, S., Rella, M., Tomberg, V., Theiler, D., Treasure-Jones, T., Kerr, M., Ley, T., Al-Smadi, M., Trattner, C.: Making sense of bits and pieces: A sensemaking tool for informal workplace learning. In: Proceedings of the 9th European Conference on Technology Enhanced Learning (EC-TEL 2014), Graz, Austria, Springer (2014) 391–397Google Scholar