The Postal Service of the Portuguese Expeditionary Corps (1917–1919): A Time-Step Analysis Using Historical Data Integration in a GIS Environment
This paper aims to discuss the Campaign Postal Service (Serviço Postal de Campanha—SPC) of the Portuguese Expeditionary Corps (Corpo Expedicionário Português—CEP) which served in Flanders during World War I. The Mission of the SPC was to ensure the exchange of correspondence between Portugal and the Portuguese Expeditionary Corps in France, as well as to regulate internal postal communications between the various units and formations. Much has been written about the participation of the Portuguese Army in this conflict, but the vast majority of studies either omit or refer only very briefly to the SPC. Our objective is to describe the implementation by force of circumstances of a civil structure such as the SPC in a military organization, the contribution of which is considered invaluable in the history of the participation of Portugal in the Great War.
The SPC left for France in 1917 under the guidance of Humberto da Cunha Serrão, an officer in the General Administration of Posts and Telegraphs who had been appointed to command and organize this service. Our aim is to describe the organization of the postal communication network in Flanders using cartographic and textual sources as well as a geographic information system (GIS) to compile new maps which can show not only the organization and operation of the service, but also the adversities it had to overcome in order to carry out its function. We also intend to emphasise the importance of establishing institutional cooperation relations for the study and dissemination of historical cartographic sources.
KeywordsGeographic Information System Digital Terrain Model Kernel Estimator Kernel Density Estimator Geographic Information System Software
- Afonso A, Gomes CM (2010) Portugal e a Grande Guerra, 1914–1918. Quidnovi, LisboaGoogle Scholar
- Marques IP (2014) Das trincheiras com saudade, a vida quotidiana dos militares portugueses na Primeira Guerra Mundial. A Esfera dos Livros, BragaGoogle Scholar
- Serrão H (1942) O Serviço Postal do Corpo Expedicionário Português à França em 1917–1918 (S.P.C. do C.E.P.). C.T.T., LisboaGoogle Scholar
- Serrão H (1948) O que eu vi em 50 anos. Serviços Culturais dos C.T.T., LisboaGoogle Scholar
- Serrão H (1958) O SPC do CEP e o “9 de Abril”. [s.n.], LisboaGoogle Scholar
- Serrão H, Feijão M (1920) O S.P.C. do C.E.P.: relatório. LisboaGoogle Scholar
- Silverman B (1986) Density Estimation for Statistics and Data Analysis. Chapman and Hall, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- Themudo BM, Severiano TN (2004) Nova História Militar de Portugal. Círculo de Leitores, LisboaGoogle Scholar