Semi-Automatic Basket Catheter Reconstruction from Two X-Ray Views
Ablation guided by focal impulse and rotor mapping (FIRM) is a novel treatment option for atrial fibrillation, a frequent heart arrhythmia. This procedure is performed minimally invasively and at least partially under fluoroscopic guidance. It involves a basket catheter comprising 64 electrodes. The 3-D position of these electrodes is important during treatment. We propose a novel model-based method for 3-D reconstruction of this catheter using two X-ray images taken from different views. Our approach requires only little user interaction. An evaluation of the method found that the electrodes of the basket catheter can be reconstructed with a median error of 1.5 mm for phantom data and 3.4 mm for clinical data.
We gratefully acknowledge the feedback by the Klinikum Coburg, Germany, and would also like to thank them for the test images. This work was supported by Siemens Healthcare. The concepts and information presented in this paper are based on research, and are not commercially available.
- 2.Budai, A., Bock, R., Maier, A., Hornegger, J., Michelson, G.: Robust vessel segmentation in fundus images. Int. J. Biomed. Imaging 2013, 11 pages (2013)Google Scholar
- 3.Canero, C., Radeva, P., Toledo, R., Villanueva, J., Mauri, J.: 3d curve reconstruction by biplane snakes. In: Proceedings of the 15th International Conference on Pattern Recognition, vol. 4, pp. 563–566 (2000)Google Scholar
- 5.Delmas, C., Berger, M.O., Kerrien, E., Riddell, C., Trousset, Y., Anxionnat, R., Bracard, S.: Three-dimensional curvilinear device reconstruction from two fluoroscopic views (2015)Google Scholar
- 6.Eitel, C., Hindricks, G., Dagres, N., Sommer, P., Piorkowski, C.: Ensite velocity cardiac mapping system: a new platform for 3d mapping of cardiac arrhythmias. Expert Rev. Med. Devices 7(2), 185–192 (2010). http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1586/erd.10.1CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 7.Frangi, A.F., Niessen, W.J., Vincken, K.L., Viergever, M.A.: Multiscale vessel enhancement filtering. In: Wells, W.M., Colchester, A.C.F., Delp, S.L. (eds.) MICCAI 1998. LNCS, vol. 1496, pp. 130–137. Springer, Heidelberg (1998) Google Scholar
- 9.Hoffmann, M., Brost, A., Jakob, C., Bourier, F., Koch, M., Kurzidim, K., Hornegger, J., Strobel, N.: Semi-automatic catheter reconstruction from two views. In: Ayache, N., Delingette, H., Golland, P., Mori, K. (eds.) MICCAI 2012, Part II. LNCS, vol. 7511, pp. 584–591. Springer, Heidelberg (2012) CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 11.Narayan, S.M., Krummen, D.E., Shivkumar, K., Clopton, P., Rappel, W.J., Miller, J.M.: Treatment of atrial fibrillation by the ablation of localized sourcesconfirm (conventional ablation for atrial fibrillation with or without focal impulse and rotor modulation) trial. J. Am. Coll. Cardiol. 60(7), 628–636 (2012)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
Open Access This chapter is distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution Noncommercial License, which permits any noncommercial use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original author(s) and source are credited.