The oblivion we will be. Dilemmas of being old person in Colombia. What about higher Education? Describe the difficulties of been old person in country that no has clear programmes in higher education for adults. In this text, the situation of the old person in Colombia is addressed, and where these seniors past, present and future around education are succinctly explored. To do this, we review some existing regulations and statistics based on the government agencies around the population, Gross Domestic Product, levels of care and education programs made for this population group, which each time, is becoming larger as shown by the demographic indices. In addition, some seniors have been interviewed, where they deliver significant versions of the deal that has been given by the Government and the near absence of higher education in their lives. Finally, a sort of selective oblivions and dilemmas are to be confronted, for the dignity to take place in a country that easily forgets its people. When checked the official records of Colombia and to hear some older citizens, hence the need to improve many of its programs, but in this particular case is necessary, in conjunction with universities university to generate programs to integrate this population to student life in a return to what they were not provided in their youth or just to feel again recognized within the academic context.
KeywordsAdult Education Citizenship Education Older People Colombian Population Colombian Government
- Andi (National Industry Association). (2012). Balance report 2012 and outlook 2013. http://www.larepublica.co/sites/default/files/larepublica/andi.pdf. Accessed 21 Aug 2013.
- Cafam. (2013). Family compensation fund. http://www.cafam.com.co. Accessed 10 Aug 2013.
- Calasanti, T. (2003). Theorising age relations. In S. Biggs, A. Lowenstein, & J. Hendricks (Eds.), The need for theory: Critical approaches to social gerontology (pp. 199–218). Amityville: Baywood.Google Scholar
- Colombia Aprende. (2013). http://www.colombiaaprende.edu.co/html/home/1592/article-228165.html. Accessed 10 Aug 2013.
- Comfama. (2013). Family compensation fund. Colombia; Comfama. http://www.comfama.com/webinicio/default.asp. Accessed 10 Aug 2013.
- Confamiliares. (2013). Family compensation fund of Caldas. http://www.confamiliares.com/familias/familias_ppal.html. Accessed 31 Aug 2013.
- Faciolince, H. (2007). El olvido que seremos. Bogotá: Editorial Planeta.Google Scholar
- Freire, P. (1993). Pedagogy of the oppressed. New York: The Continuum Publishing Co.Google Scholar
- García, M. G. (1989). No ones writes to the Colonel. El coronel no tiene quien le escriba. Bogotá: Editorial Oveja Negra.Google Scholar
- González, G. M. A. (2010). Umbrales de Indolencia. Educación sombría y justicia indiferente. Manizales: Universidad de Manizales.Google Scholar
- Jones, I. A., Hyde, M., Victor, C. R., Wiggins, R. D., & Higgs, P. (2008). Ageing in a consumer society: From passive to active consumption in Britain. Bristol: Bristol University Press.Google Scholar
- Labour Ministry in Colombia. (2013). Gobierno abre convocatoria para beneficiar a adultos mayores del programa Colombia Mayor. http://www.mintrabajo.gov.co/mayo-2013/1855-gobierno-abre-convocatoria-para-beneficiar-a-adultos-mayores-del-programa-colombia-mayor.html. Accessed 7 July 2013.
- Law 1276 of 2009 Colombia. (2009). New approaches to integrated care for older persons in the life centers are established. Ley 1276 de 2009 Colombia. http://www.secretariasenado.gov.co/senado/basedoc/ley/2009/ley_1276_2009.html. Accessed 20 July 2013.
- Minguez, G. J. (2009). Opening new educational fields. Towards education in older people. Rhela, 12, 129–151.Google Scholar
- Ministry of Education of Colombia. (2013). The way to reduce the rate of illiteracy. http://www.mineducacion.gov.co/observatorio/1722/article-288766.html. Accessed 12 Oct 2013.
- Monsalve, A. P. (2010). Older adults in Colombia. http://www.psicomundo.com/tiempo/monografias/monsalve.htm. Accessed 20 Aug 2013.
- National Department of Statistics (DANE). (2013). National Planning Department. http://www.dane.gov.co/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=354 &Itemid=114. Accessed 11 Sept 2013.
- Sacks, O. (2013). At the age of 80. http://elpais.com/elpais/2013/07/10/opinion/1373457617_864305.html. Accessed 13 July 2013.
- SENA. (2013). National apprenticeship service. http://www.sena.edu.co/. Accessed 17 Nov 2013.
- SISBEN. (2013). System identification and classification of potential beneficiaries for social programs, Colombia. https://www.sisben.gov.co/default.aspx. Accessed 11 Nov 2013.
- Social Action Rosarita. (2013). Adults and seniors. http://www.urosario.edu.co/Accion-Social/ur/Accion-social/adultos-y-adultos-mayores/. Accessed 15 Nov 2013.
- Technological University of Pereira. (2013). Proposal specialization in education. http://www.utp.edu.co/~chumanas/revistas/revistas/rev17/diaz.html. Accessed 12 Apr 2014.
- Universia Colombia. (2011). Zero illiteracy. http://noticias.universia.net.co/en-portada/noticia/2011/09/01/862768/programa-cero-analfabetismo-beneficiara-colombianos-iletrados.html. Accessed 12 Aug 2013.
- World Bank. (2013). GDP per head (U.S. $ at current prices). http://datos.bancomundial.org/indicador/NY.GDP.PCAP.CD. Accessed 15 Sept 2013.