Modeling and Simulation in Service of Energy Policy: The Challenges
- 452 Downloads
Modeling and simulation have long and well served the actors and various decision makers in the domain of energy policy . Various modeling approaches and models have been applied to address a variety of energy policy related issues. However, the journey continues. This chapter provides an overview of these modeling approaches and models identifying their key challenges in the face of emerging issues. The identified energy policy modeling related issues include the characterization of energy systems as complex dynamic systems with numerous uncertainties , nonlinearities , time lags , and intertwined feedback loops .
KeywordsEnergy Policy Carbon Capture Electricity Price Distribute Energy Resource Energy System Modeling
- Eberhard, A., & Gratwick, K. (2007). From state to market and back again: Egypt’s experiment with independent power projects. Working Paper, Oct 2007. http://www.gsb.uct.ac.za/files/Egypt_IPP_Experience_April_2006.pdf. Accessed on January 8, 2015.
- Forrester, J. (1961). Industrial dynamics. Cambridge, USA: MIT Press.Google Scholar
- IAEA. (1993). Energy and Nuclear Power Planning study for Pakistan: 1993-2023. IAEA-TECDOC-1030, IAEA, Vienna, Austria, www-pub.iaea.org/MTCD/Publications/PDF/te_1030_prn.pdf. Accessed on November 11, 2014.
- IEA. (2012). IEA report on sustainable energy for all. V2. https://www.iea.org/media/freepublications/oneoff/GlobalTrackingFrameworkOverview.pdf. Accessed on January 17, 2015.
- Kydes, A. S., & Shah, S. H. (1997). The national energy modelling system: Policy analysis and forecasting at the US department of energy. In D. W. Bunn & E. R. Larsen (Eds.), Systems modelling for energy policy (pp. 9–30). Chichester, England: Wiley.Google Scholar
- Wood, F. P., & Geinzer, J. C. (1997). The IDEAS model and its use in developing the US climate change action plan. In D. W. Bunn & E. R. Larsen (Eds.), Systems modelling for energy policy (pp. 31–46). Chichester, England: Wiley.Google Scholar