Towards a Formal Model of Language Networks
- 788 Downloads
Multilayer networks and related concepts have been used for description and analysis of complex systems in many fields, such as for example biological, physical, social and information systems. In this paper we present the first steps towards defining a formal model for language networks representation - Multilayer Language Network (MLN) which is based on multilayer network formalism and which is suitable for representation, analysis and comparison of languages both in their entirety as well as in their various characteristics and complexity. The goal of this research is to define a universal formal model for languages, capturing various language levels (subsystems) and various language characteristics. As a starting point we apply standard network diagnostics on an MLN model for an English and Croatian text, considering word, syllable and grapheme language subsystems and various construction principles, and present obtained results.
KeywordsLanguage Subsystems Multilayer Network Interlayer Edges Giant Connected Component (GCC) Hierarchy Perspective
This work has been supported in part by the University of Rijeka under the LangNet project (22.214.171.124.07).
- 2.Ban, K., Ivakić, I., Meštrović, A.: A preliminary study of croatian language syllable networks. In: IEEE MIPRO Proceedings, pp. 1296–1300 (2013)Google Scholar
- 4.Berlingerio, M., Coscia, M., Giannotti, F., Monreale, A., Pedreschi, D.: Foundations of multidimensional network analysis. In: IEEE Advances in Social Networks Analysis and Mining (ASONAM), pp. 485–489 (2011)Google Scholar
- 5.Bianconi, G. Dorogovtsev, S.N., Mendes, J.F.F.: Mutually connected component of network of networks. arXiv preprint arXiv:1402.0215 (2014)
- 10.De Domenico, M., Solé-Ribalta, A., Cozzo, E., Kivelä, M., Moreno, Y., Porter, M.A., Gómez, S., Arenas, A.: Mathematical formulation of multilayer networks. Phys. Rev. X 3(4), 041022 (2013)Google Scholar
- 17.Margan, D., Martinčić-Ipšić, S., Meštrović, A.: Preliminary report on the structure of croatian linguistic co-occurrence networks. In: 5th ITIS Proceedings, pp. 89–96 (2013)Google Scholar
- 27.Tadić, M.: Building the croatian dependency treebank: the initial stages. Suvremena Lingvistika 63(1), 85–92 (2007)Google Scholar
- 28.Marcus, M.P., Marcinkiewicz, M.A., Santorini, B.: Building a large annotated corpus of English: the Penn treebank. Comput. Linguistics 19(2), 313–330 (1993)Google Scholar